[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac Emulator, what to buy?

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (03/03/90)

We have a 1040 ST here in the lab at Sussex, and will shortly have a few more.
We are  interested in buying a Mac emulator, and we gather that those which
use Mac roms are better than "pure" software emulations.

1) Is this correct?

2) Where do we buy said emulators (UK or USA preferred)?. (Names of the
product etc. also needed).

Email please, as I'm sure this is an FAQ and I can't read the ST group
regularly (too big).

Nick
--
Dr. Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/04/90)

In article <2309@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>We have a 1040 ST here in the lab at Sussex, and will shortly have a few more.
>We are  interested in buying a Mac emulator, and we gather that those which
>use Mac roms are better than "pure" software emulations.
>
>1) Is this correct?

   I think the real dope on that is that one cannot copy the Mac roms onto a
   disk without risking an immediate (they have shown the willingness) lawsuit.

>2) Where do we buy said emulators (UK or USA preferred)?. (Names of the
>product etc. also needed).

   Dave Small's GCR is probably the way to go, since it is the only one I know
   of that reads Mac disks directly.  For that matter, I think Aladin has gone
   out of business, which only leaves the Magic Sac (old Dave Small hack),
   Spectre 128 (much better Dave Small hack, everything the GCR is without the
   disk compatabiliy), and the GCR.  Also, Magic Sac is no longer supported
   by Dave (a company change).

>Nick
>--
>Dr. Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
>& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND
>JANET: nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: nickw%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

PHB100@psuvm.psu.edu (03/06/90)

In article <2309@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins)
says:

>We have a 1040 ST here in the lab at Sussex, and will shortly have a few more.
>We are  interested in buying a Mac emulator, and we gather that those which
>use Mac roms are better than "pure" software emulations.

Are there any "PURE" software emulators?  And if so, how are they?  Inquiring
minds want to know...:)

-------
In the dark, no one can hear the color of your eyes...

Paul Baughman                 |   Senior Student Consultant
   AKA Unka Paul              |   Student Support Initiative
   AKA The Man From UNKA      |
   AKA The Cloned OP          |   227C Computer Building
   AKA The Consultant's OP    |   University Park  PA   16801
   AKA The OP's Consultant    |   (814) 865-2160

bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) (03/06/90)

In article <9003040502.AA28710@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu>, boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

>    Dave Small's GCR is probably the way to go, since it is the only one I know
>    of that reads Mac disks directly.  For that matter, I think Aladin has gone
>    out of business, which only leaves the Magic Sac (old Dave Small hack),
>    Spectre 128 (much better Dave Small hack, everything the GCR is without the
>    disk compatabiliy), and the GCR.  Also, Magic Sac is no longer supported
>    by Dave (a company change).

	I've got an Adaptec controller / 65meg RLL setup which I'd like to
use for Spectre GCR if/when I buy it.  The ICD host adaptor tells me that
because the Adaptec uses FAT bad-sector mapping rather than SCSI, I shouldn't
use it with Spectre.  But I do have a few error-free partitions.  Can I use
Spectre with these partitions?
	A more broad question is, what goes wrong when you have a bad sector
on your hard disk?  Surely there's a Macintosh equivalent of mapping out bad
sectors to a FAT table that can be done.

--
|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	BILDO'S .SIGNATURE QUERY:					|

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/06/90)

In article <90064.123706PHB100@psuvm.psu.edu>, PHB100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>In article <2309@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins)
>says:
>>
>>We have a 1040 ST here in the lab at Sussex, and will shortly have a few more.
>>We are  interested in buying a Mac emulator, and we gather that those which
>>use Mac roms are better than "pure" software emulations.
>>
>Are there any "PURE" software emulators?  And if so, how are they?  Inquiring
>minds want to know...:)
>
>-------
>In the dark, no one can hear the color of your eyes...
>
>Paul Baughman                 |   Senior Student Consultant
>   AKA Unka Paul              |   Student Support Initiative
>   AKA The Man From UNKA      |
>   AKA The Cloned OP          |   227C Computer Building
>   AKA The Consultant's OP    |   University Park  PA   16801
>   AKA The OP's Consultant    |   (814) 865-2160

There are two that I know of, both pirated.  One is called MacBongo, from
germany.  It is an old 64k rom hack (roms saved to disk).  The other is
a pirated version of Spectre 128, with v 1.85 software.  It bombs quite
frequently, to my understanding.  Both are quite illegal.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/09/90)

Dr. Watkins, buy Spectre GCR and your Mac emulation will be taken care
with no strings attached!  The device works flawlessly and attaching
it to the ST is easy via the cartrdige port.  The whole unit with the
necessary Mac ROMS is running about $400 here in the States and worth
every penny.

Peter Szymonik

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Daniel L. Moore) (03/12/90)

in article <1188@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) says:
> 	I've got an Adaptec controller / 65meg RLL setup which I'd like to
> use for Spectre GCR if/when I buy it.  The ICD host adaptor tells me that
> because the Adaptec uses FAT bad-sector mapping rather than SCSI, I shouldn't
> use it with Spectre.  But I do have a few error-free partitions.  Can I use
> Spectre with these partitions?

	Adaptec controllers will do bad sector mapping at the controller
level, if the software tells them to.  The format code needs to send down
the bad sector info to the controller and have it remap those sectors.  I
thought that ICD's software did this, you may just have an old version.
(I know that most of Dave's STs are using ICD controllers/software so you
shouldn't have any problem.)

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (03/13/90)

In article <27721@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>Dr. Watkins, buy Spectre GCR and your Mac emulation will be taken care
>with no strings attached!  The device works flawlessly and attaching
>it to the ST is easy via the cartrdige port.  The whole unit with the
>necessary Mac ROMS is running about $400 here in the States and worth
>every penny.
>
>Peter Szymonik

Let's not get carried away here.  Yes, the GCR is an amazing product and it by
itself works beautifully.  It will NOT work flawlessly, due to other problems
in the system.  Namely, some really awful cut corners in some Mega computers.
My Mega 2 refuses to write to Mac disks on the internal drive.  It isn't a
shielding problem.  We shielded that drive to HELL and it still wouldn't work.

Friend of mine who works at an Atari store looked at my chipset.  He couldn't
recognize it... I wonder just what the h... <oops, sorry, flame off> Atari
did when assembling this computer (it's a Rev. 5.0 motherboard).

(btw, it isn't the mechanism either)

Spectre GCR is great.  Mega 2's aren't.

Mike

rick@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Ruck) (03/13/90)

In article <6243@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:

>Let's not get carried away here.  Yes, the GCR is an amazing product and it by
>itself works beautifully.  It will NOT work flawlessly, due to other problems
>in the system.  Namely, some really awful cut corners in some Mega computers.
>My Mega 2 refuses to write to Mac disks on the internal drive.  It isn't a
>shielding problem.  We shielded that drive to HELL and it still wouldn't work.
>
>Friend of mine who works at an Atari store looked at my chipset.  He couldn't
>recognize it... I wonder just what the h... <oops, sorry, flame off> Atari
>did when assembling this computer (it's a Rev. 5.0 motherboard).
>
>(btw, it isn't the mechanism either)
>
>Spectre GCR is great.  Mega 2's aren't.
>
>Mike

I wouldn't be so hard on Mega 2's.  I will grant that I don't have a Spectre
GCR (yet) but a Spectre 128 with a Translator, but I can say that not only
will the Translator not work on the internal drive of my Mega 2, but it
wouldn't work on the internal drives of half the 1040's I tried it on, nor
would it work with most of the external drives I tried.  Oddly enough,
the external drive it works best on is my good old drive for my original
520.  I think it's a matter of drive speed or some such thing, rather than
the computer itself.  Otherwise my Mega 2 has performed well (OK, well until
the power supply died after about 5 months, but Atari did agree to fix it
for free).  In using a 1040 while my Mega is under repair, I appreciate the
"little" enhancements to the Mega 2--you'd be surprised how much difference
the detached keyboard and case design make when going back to the old system
for a few weeks.

Eric