Date: 21 Feb 89 03:02:45 GMT
From: tektronix!ozvax!tekcsc!jeff@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jeff Beadles)
Subject: Here's how to hook a MicroSoft Mouse to a ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, here is how to connect a Microsoft Mouse to an Atari ST.  (520/1040)
The Atari has a 9-pin D-type connector.  The Microsoft Mouse has a rather
strange connector on the end.  To prevent having to cut the mouse cable up,
I made this adaptor.  If you still can't follow it, please let me know and
I'll try to redescribe it.  This does work for me.  I've been using it for
6 or so months now with no problems at all.  It does take some soldering
skills, so if you're not so hot at soldering, find a friend to help.

As far as I know, this does not effect your Atari's warranty.  However, I
have not asked Atari. :-)

Atari ST    Microsoft Mouse            ST expected signal
----- --    --------- -----                 -- -------- ------
1                  5                               XB
2                  3                               XA
3                  8                               YA
4                  9                               YB
5                 N/C                             N/C
6                  2                          Left button
7                 N/C                         +5VDC (N/C)
8*         6 and also tie to pin 1               Ground
9                  7                          Right button

* = I am not sure why I have pins 6 & 1 tied together, but it does work.

The Microsoft mouse connector looks like this.  This is the solder side,
with the leads pointing up.

  ---------------
  |     1       |
  |  2 3 4 5    |
  | 6 7 8 9 10  |
  |             |
  ---------------

  If you can not use the connector, the pins are numbered as follows.  This
  is the connector side from the Microsoft Mouse plug:

      /------------\    This is a view at the front of the connector.
     / Blank "KEY"  \    It is where the plug from the mouse would be.
    /----------------\    The pin labeled 'n' is not connected.
    | n   4   X   8  |    The place labeled 'X' is filled, and does not
    | 9   7   1   2  |    have a pin.
    |     5   6      |
     \              /
      \------------/

Have fun!

    Jeff

--
Jeff Beadles
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM

----------------------------------<cut here>---------------------------------

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) (03/15/90)

Thanks Mickey for reposting Jeffs note on connecting MS mouse to ST

HOWEVER, It appears to me that microsoft has changed their mouse cable
the number of lines and the shape of the connecter are very different
from what you described. (I have the latest MS 400 DPI serial-ps/2 mouse,
did I make a mistake? should I have gotten the bus mouse?)

For example pin 5 on the MS mouse isn't connected to anything in mouse
also on my ST mouse I can press the left button and note resistance on my
volt meter go to zero when I make the approriate connections (between pin 6
and 8) I cann't find any equivalent correlation on the MS mouse, (Though
I haven't tryed every possible iteration).  Strangely, resistance does drop
(electricity travels through, me no EE;) through some combinations
of lines but pressing mouse buttons never seems to make any difference.

The MS mouse apears to use only lines 2,3,4,5,7 of an AT (9 pin) serial
connector (and the casing)

Can someone e-mail me the solution to this problem (the correct wiring,
or tell me I goofed and bought the wrong mouse).

by the way I haven't received anything form info-atari16 for about a
week so you better e-mail me directly.

signed,
desparate

Thanks,