[comp.sys.atari.st] 5.25" drive problems on the STe

opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (,,,2684025) (03/15/90)

From article <2734@erix.ericsson.se>, by euaanu@eua.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin):
> I'm trying to connect a 5.25" 360k drive to my 520STE (now expanded
> to 2M with 1M SIMMs). The problem is (I guess) that the step rate
> is to high so the drive can't step as fast as required. How can I lower
> the step rate? I saw someone mention a program to put in your
> auto folder. Does anybody have this program? If so, please e-mail me
> a copy.

I have an INDUS GT-1000 external 5.25" drive, and my 1040STe hates it.
The booting software that came with the drive won't work on the STe.
And Future Systems (the makers of the drive) knew nothing about it.
They were nice enough to send me another program that they thought might
help, but no...

Recently my drive was giving me a NEW problem! (besides the fact that if
the GT-1000 is connected and off, the internal drive corrupts disks when
it trys to write to them)..
When I try to look at the external disk, it wants me to insert disk B into
drive A, as if the external drive wasn't even there!! BUT, to make things
weirder, PC-DITTO accesses it fine!!
I tried it on a friend's MEGA2, and had the problem the first time, rebooted
and didn't have the problem since... On my computer either (but I haven't
tried it many times...)

AAron nAAs
opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu
   or  naas17@snypotba.bitnet

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.210209.21517@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (,,,2684025) writes:
> From article <2734@erix.ericsson.se>, by euaanu@eua.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin):
> > I'm trying to connect a 5.25" 360k drive to my 520STE (now expanded
> > to 2M with 1M SIMMs). The problem is (I guess) that the step rate
> > is to high so the drive can't step as fast as required. How can I lower
> > the step rate? I saw someone mention a program to put in your
> > auto folder. Does anybody have this program? If so, please e-mail me
> > a copy.
>
> I have an INDUS GT-1000 external 5.25" drive, and my 1040STe hates it.
> The booting software that came with the drive won't work on the STe.
> And Future Systems (the makers of the drive) knew nothing about it.
> They were nice enough to send me another program that they thought might
> help, but no...

TOS 1.4 and TOS 1.6 (STe) have added a BIOS call to change the floppy
seek rate without punching numbers into memory.

	XBIOS function 41
	oldrate = Floprate(devno,newrate);
	short devno,newrate;
	devno is 0=a 1 =b; newrate=1 12MS, the slowest for 5.25 drives.

MWC assembler:
	move.w	$1, -(a7) / slowest
	move.w	$0, -(a7) / or use $1 if drive B:
	move.w	$41,-(a7)
	trap	0x14
	addq.l	$6, a7

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (,,,2684025) (03/16/90)

From article <1990Mar14.210209.21517@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, by opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (,,,2684025):
> Recently my drive was giving me a NEW problem! (besides the fact that if
> the GT-1000 is connected and off, the internal drive corrupts disks when
> it trys to write to them)..
> When I try to look at the external disk, it wants me to insert disk B into
> drive A, as if the external drive wasn't even there!! BUT, to make things
> weirder, PC-DITTO accesses it fine!!
> I tried it on a friend's MEGA2, and had the problem the first time, rebooted
> and didn't have the problem since... On my computer either (but I haven't
> tried it many times...)

Well... It looks as if the problem is still there.
  My computer will recognize the external Indus GT-1000 5.25" drive,
MAYBE once in 15 boots, and no matter what programs I boot up with.

  BUT, pc-ditto recognizes it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

  WHY?

  I am going to check the cable, but I doubt I will find it faulty.

  ANY help would be appreciated.

AAron nAAs