[comp.sys.atari.st] 5.25" drive problems

euaanu@eua.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin) (03/14/90)

I'm trying to connect a 5.25" 360k drive to my 520STE (now expanded
to 2M with 1M SIMMs). The problem is (I guess) that the step rate
is to high so the drive can't step as fast as required. How can I lower
the step rate? I saw someone mention a program to put in your
auto folder. Does anybody have this program? If so, please e-mail me
a copy.
Another problem is that the drive isn't selected properly. If I set
the drive select strap to DS1 (or any other position) the drive
doesn't get selected. I have to put the strap in the MX position,
which means that it is always selected, but then I can't use the
internal drive...  Could it be that the DS output from the computer
doesn't have enough sink capability, so I have to put a buffer on the
DS output???

Regards
Arto Nummelin
-
--
e-mail address:   euaanu@euas20.ericsson.se
---

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/17/90)

In article <2734@erix.ericsson.se>, euaanu@euas20.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin) writes:
>I'm trying to connect a 5.25" 360k drive to my 520STE (now expanded
>to 2M with 1M SIMMs). The problem is (I guess) that the step rate
>is to high so the drive can't step as fast as required. How can I lower
>the step rate? I saw someone mention a program to put in your
>auto folder. Does anybody have this program? If so, please e-mail me
>a copy.
>Another problem is that the drive isn't selected properly. If I set
>the drive select strap to DS1 (or any other position) the drive
>doesn't get selected. I have to put the strap in the MX position,
>which means that it is always selected, but then I can't use the
>internal drive...  Could it be that the DS output from the computer
>doesn't have enough sink capability, so I have to put a buffer on the
>DS output???
>
>Regards
>Arto Nummelin
>-
>--
>e-mail address:   euaanu@euas20.ericsson.se
>---

I believe DC Formatter (a shareware product) has an option to write a boot
sector that automatically selects the step rate for drive B.  A nifty solution
to your problem.  If you cannot locate a copy, email me.

              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead