[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Internal Clocks

CHIASSA@UDEM.BITNET (Alyre CHIASSON) (03/16/90)

Now that the warrenty on my ST has expired along with my external
clock cartridge I am thinking of an internal clock. I have heard
that it is possible to install a Dallas semiconductor Smart Watch
but which type? Will it install in any 1040ST(F) and is it a
simple operation. Where can I get the software to set the clock?
Is the above worth the effort considering that ST/ime is available
from ZUBAIR for $59.00 US?
Thanks

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (03/17/90)

[In article <ID3778.D900315.T154400.CHIASSA@UDEM>,
     CHIASSA@UDEM.BITNET (Alyre CHIASSON) writes ... ]

> Now that the warrenty on my ST has expired along with my external
> clock cartridge I am thinking of an internal clock.

Before you spend the time/energy/money on a clock, consider whether you're
going to upgrade to a hard disk drive. Most of the currently available
SCSI host adaptors have onboard clocks.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   UUCP path: ... umn-cs.cs.umn.edu!thelake!steve

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/17/90)

In article <ID3778.D900315.T154400.CHIASSA@UDEM>, CHIASSA@UDEM.BITNET (Alyre CHIASSON) writes:
> Now that the warrenty on my ST has expired along with my external
> clock cartridge I am thinking of an internal clock. I have heard
> that it is possible to install a Dallas semiconductor Smart Watch
> but which type? Will it install in any 1040ST(F) and is it a
> simple operation. Where can I get the software to set the clock?
> Is the above worth the effort considering that ST/ime is available
> from ZUBAIR for $59.00 US?

Yes the Dallas semicon. Smart Watch will work.
Their basic unit is built in a socket that you put under a ROM.

This works, as is, on earlier ST 512's.

When the power supply was added for the ST1024 it was placed over the row
of ROM chips.  Some third parties have made a little paddle board that
allows the ROM socket to be remoted so that it is not under the P.S.
This allows normal use of the Dallas component.
Terrific Corp, St Marys MA, USA is one such supplier.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) (03/18/90)

>[In article <ID3778.D900315.T154400.CHIASSA@UDEM>,
>     CHIASSA@UDEM.BITNET (Alyre CHIASSON) writes ... ]
>
>> Now that the warrenty on my ST has expired along with my external
>> clock cartridge I am thinking of an internal clock.

	I am desperately searching for an external (cartridge) clock
for the 1040ST.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  And the name/address/ph#
of somewhere where I can get a few?

Thanks!

--
::::::::::::::::: - Sanford L. Barr - ::::::::::::::::::::"Never argue with a
  ___-   ARPA: sbarr@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu    _------  :: fool.  Most people

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (03/19/90)

In article <6643@sbcs.sunysb.edu> sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) writes:
>	I am desperately searching for an external (cartridge) clock
>for the 1040ST.  Does anyone know of such a beast?  And the name/address/ph#
>of somewhere where I can get a few?

Yup. I am using one now.

Navarone makes a cartridge clock called (cleverly) The Timekeeper.
Calling any ST mail order house should get you one.

I think they are around $40...its been a few years since I
got mine...

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"