[comp.sys.atari.st] MEGA-2/STe PRICING

cs325ec@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/16/90)

	Could someone please e-mail the lowest price they have seen
	and where of a 1040STe or Mega 2 ST?

	Thanks in advance.

	-- Greg

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/17/90)

In article <16000026@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs325ec@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	Could someone please e-mail the lowest price they have seen
>	and where of a 1040STe or Mega 2 ST?
>
>	Thanks in advance.
>
>	-- Greg

I have heard (unconfirmed) that Mega2ST's are being discontinued, due to
cheaper memory prices.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

rick@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Ruck) (03/18/90)

>I have heard (unconfirmed) that Mega2ST's are being discontinued, due to
>cheaper memory prices.
>
>    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
>              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
>         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
>      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
>    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to an Atari Customer Service Rep, Barbara Bentson, this is not
true.  In January I sent my Mega 2 in for service, and I am now typing on
a brand new Mega 2, just off the boat from Tiawan (almost literally).
Incidentally, even though Atari USA had a difficult time getting a
replacement for me in good time, they were very nice, handled the situation
well, did all they could, and when they finally got the new machines in
stock they sent it to me by overnight mail.  Although faster service would
have been nice, it's refreshing to see that the people behind the service
are as helpful as seemed humanly possible.

Eric Ruck

PS: Completely off the subject--everyone should go see the movie "My Left
Foot."

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/19/90)

Eric Ruck says:
>Incidentally, even though Atari USA had a difficult time getting a
>replacement for me in good time, they were very nice, handled the situation
>well, did all they could, and when they finally got the new machines in
>stock they sent it to me by overnight mail.  Although faster service would
>have been nice, it's refreshing to see that the people behind the service
>are as helpful as seemed humanly possible.

I wonder how many of those "helpful people" were among those fired last
Friday..?

Atari Corp. seems to have found entirely new ways of looking at "doing
business"...   (anyone looking for a subject for a collegiate thesis..? Atari
could provide a rich resource for "unusual" ways of doing business)

It used to be "Why should we Advertise, when we don't have the product to
fill the demand advertising would generate"...   now, it seems to be, "Why
should we employ people in Accounts Receivable when we don't have any
Accounts to Receive...?

Taken to its extreme, with no product to sell, and no people in its offices
on a payroll, Atari Corp could serve as a model for corporations of the
future...   just Jack and Sam, and Lenny and Garry...  sitting around an
oak table, deciding which products NOT to ship this month...  and raking in

BobR

(In case you missed the Z-Rag report, Atari Corp has fired 15% of its US
work force as of 5PM last Friday...   gives you a nice, warm, secure feeling
doesn't it...? )