[comp.sys.atari.st] Turtle for the GCR???

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (03/19/90)

Hello all,

    I tried to send the following to George Woodside, but it, as you've
read before, "bounced".  sigh

Hello George,

     I would bet that if you wrote a port of Turtle for the GCR and offered
it for sell commerically that you'd have a winner.  I have tried every
commerical and shareware harddrive backup utility for the Macintosh but
these just won't work on the GCR.
     Anyway to persuade you to convert Turtle for the Mac so that ST
GCR folks would have a decent backup utility for their hard drive?
     Since Spectre GCR typically out performs the Mac on the hard drive,
it is a shame that we don't have a good hard drive backup utility.  Yes,
I know that Dave's MegaMinute Elite does indeed work, but it is for
image backup only and you risk losing files if you get the 'slow write'
error.  I WANT TURTLE GCR!!!  Also, I know that it is better to back
up the files using the SysQuest mechanisms and cartridges, but not all
of us can afford such a wonderful setup.
     I just want a nice, dependable hard drive to floppy backup utility
for my GCR that WORKS!  I WANT TURTLE GCR!!!  It would be sooo nice.
     I read on the Mac net that DiskFit was tried but would not work.
So, George, among all your other projects, could you possibly
consider porting Turtle to the GCR??????

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (03/20/90)

In article <900318.18241755.003982@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
...[edited]...
>So, George, among all your other projects, could you possibly
>consider porting Turtle to the GCR??????

It's not likely.

I'm really not interested in the MAC. I have an MS-DOS system (no comments,
please) that I'm just starting to learn about, and at the office we're heading
into Suns. MACs do not loom prominently in the near future.
--
* George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA *
*   or:       ..!{philabs|csun|psivax}!ttidca!woodside *

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (03/20/90)

In article <900318.18241755.003982@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>     I would bet that if you wrote a port of Turtle for the GCR and offered
>it for sell commerically that you'd have a winner.  I have tried every
>commerical and shareware harddrive backup utility for the Macintosh but
>these just won't work on the GCR.

That'd be kinda hard.  The Mac's file system is totally different from the ST's.
Besides, I just backed up and restored my hard drive with DiskFit 1.4 (1.5
should get here tomorrow; ordered it from Mac Zone 1-800-248-0800 for $61 total)
It isn't quite as fast as Turtle (and, quite frankly, it wouldn't work on my
Mega 2 - what else is new? - because it kept turning my HFS disks into MFS ones)
but it does work.

[more stuff deleted]

Don't get me wrong; I would love a Turtle GCR too, but it won't be the same
Turtle we all know and love due to major differences.  Unless of course Mr.
Woodside pulls off another miracle.

>Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Mike