[comp.sys.atari.st] BBS software

"Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM (05/18/89)

I'm interested in starting a small BBS.  Has anyone got any suggestions as
to software I can buy?

I'll only have one line in to the BBS, so I don't need anything fancy.  The
system will primarily be used for information exchange rather than software
exchange or game playing.

I have a Mega 4 with 80Mb of hard disk and a V22BIS auto answer modem.

   -- Hugh

john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/21/89)

["Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM writes...]

> I'm interested in starting a small BBS.  Has anyone got any suggestions as
> to software I can buy?

 There are a number of good programs available, commercial, shareware and PD.

> I'll only have one line in to the BBS, so I don't need anything fancy.  The
> system will primarily be used for information exchange rather than software
> exchange or game playing.

  If you plan on concentrating on discussion, the best (in my opinion)
system is STadel (an ST Citadel port) which also has the advantage that
it's non-commercial...  The metaphor that Citadel is based on tends to
encourage discussion and idea exchange rather than file exchange.  Even
so, STadel does have good file up/down-loading capabilities for the files
you find that you want to share.

> I have a Mega 4 with 80Mb of hard disk and a V22BIS auto answer modem.

  The machine you describe would run STadel (and just about anything else)
QUITE easily...  :^)

>    -- Hugh

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems

ADAM_TILGHMAN@bdt.UUCP (05/25/89)

Sorry to post this publicly, but you left no mail address...

I would recommend FoReM for a BBS if you want a simple up-and-go board, with
no fancy scripting or modifications on your part.  If you want multi-line/
mods/etc or if you don't like FoReM from the user
's end, you might try Michtron BBS.  I only have experience with FoReM, but
I have heard rave reviews about BBS 3.0.

'nuff babbling on my part

A. Tilghman
UUCP:  {backbone}!claris!wet!janitor

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (03/16/90)

Howdy all.

I need some input concerning BBS software.  The board I currently run
for my user group is running off of Forem ST.  Today was the breaking
point.  Forem has been giving me untold grief, and I'd like new
software.  However, very few ST boards run around here, and the ones
that do/did ran Forem.  Ergo, I have no experience with other software.

Would those who call BBS systems PLEASE let me know what you think of
the software?  I've been looking over Michtron 3.0, and it looks nice.
However, I have yet to call a board running it.  If there are any other
SysOps out there running non-Forem boards, what do YOU think of the
software?  Is it easy to use and flexible (unlike Forem, on both
accounts).

Thanks much.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology (  THE ACORN BBS
   |||    BITNET: clf3678@ritvax                     ) (716)436-3078
   |||    Usenet: clf3678@ultb.rit.isc.edu          (  2400 baud/42 megs
  / | \   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER                        ) full Atari support

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (03/18/90)

[In article <2467@ultb.isc.rit.edu>,
     clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes ... ]

> I need some input concerning BBS software.  The board I currently run
> for my user group is running off of Forem ST.  Today was the breaking
> point.  Forem has been giving me untold grief, and I'd like new
> software.  However, very few ST boards run around here, and the ones
> that do/did ran Forem.  Ergo, I have no experience with other software.
>
> Would those who call BBS systems PLEASE let me know what you think of
> the software?  I've been looking over Michtron 3.0, and it looks nice.
> However, I have yet to call a board running it.  If there are any other
> SysOps out there running non-Forem boards, what do YOU think of the
> software?  Is it easy to use and flexible (unlike Forem, on both
> accounts).

Michtron has a very slick GEM sysop interface that can function while the
BBS is interacting with a caller.

The caller interface is determined by the sysop -- it's very flexible, and
the BBS actually interprets a program written in Michtron's own command
language. This is both good and bad. It lets you modify it at whim, but it
also lets you screw it up. :-)

BBS preferences are like text editor preferences -- often the subject of
neoreligious wars. Personally, I'm not a fan of either Michtron or FoReM.
I prefer Citadel, which is much easier and faster to use BUT is radically
different from most menu-bound BBSes, and therefore confusing to people
whose expectations interfere with their perceptions.

The Minnesota Atari ST user group (MAST) runs the ST version of Citadel,
as does the Buffalo, NY, user group. The ST version of Citadel is called
STadel.

STadel's forte is message networking. There are Citadel systems throughout
North America that are interconnected through their own store-and-forward
network, plus BIX (the Byte Magazine system). STadel also supports UUCP
mail and Usenet newsgroups, such as this one. I used to run a BBS;
currently I run a UUCP system and have MAST forward a couple of the
Citadel discussions to me in Usenet news format.

STadel is not particularly sysop-configurable -- there are options, but
you can't replace the basic (and very sound) structure of the BBS. Users,
however, can choose varying user interfaces. And you can install external
"door" programs, such as games, questionnaires, bizarre download
protocols, etc. (I don't think that is possible with Michtron).

The Citadel model is based on "rooms". Each discussion room also can be
made a download room -- you don't have to go to a separate "download
area". The rooms are named, not numbered. I think the software supports up
to 56 rooms. If you choose to allow them to do so, users can create rooms
quite easily. Rooms can be made private and any list of users can be
invited into any private room.

STadel has one more advantage: It's shareware, which means you can try it
for free and pay only if/when you can figure out where the author lives
this month. :-)

The MAST BBS can be contacted at 612-472-6582; the BRASS BBS is
716-692-3843. I think both are "closed" systems; after you connect, type
"M" for mail and "E" for enter, then leave a msg for the sysop including
your name and a password.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (03/18/90)

In article <2467@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>Howdy all.
>
>I need some input concerning BBS software.  The board I currently run
>for my user group is running off of Forem ST.  Today was the breaking
>point.  Forem has been giving me untold grief, and I'd like new
>software.  However, very few ST boards run around here, and the ones
>that do/did ran Forem.  Ergo, I have no experience with other software.

Well I know Forem gives alot of sysop's grief to untold levels, I cannot
claim so since I dont own bbs software or run one...but I do know that
a new version by a third party in Canada called Turbo Forem Plus is comiing
out, I think the only site in the U.S> beta testing this is
R.F. Mariano's board THE BOUNTY(ST-report ditribution board)
at 904-786-4176
looks good.................... could be worth checking out..

anyway, take alook if you can handle the LD-charges..

>   |||    BITNET: clf3678@ritvax                     ) (716)436-3078
>   |||    Usenet: clf3678@ultb.rit.isc.edu          (  2400 baud/42 megs
>  / | \   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER                        ) full Atari support
Ajay Choudhri
ins_bac@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

.
line fodder
.

.
.
.
.
.

.
.

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/20/90)

In article <2467@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>Howdy all.
>
>I need some input concerning BBS software.  The board I currently run
>for my user group is running off of Forem ST.  Today was the breaking
>point.  Forem has been giving me untold grief, and I'd like new
>software.  However, very few ST boards run around here, and the ones
>that do/did ran Forem.  Ergo, I have no experience with other software.
>
>Would those who call BBS systems PLEASE let me know what you think of
>the software?  I've been looking over Michtron 3.0, and it looks nice.
>However, I have yet to call a board running it.  If there are any other
>SysOps out there running non-Forem boards, what do YOU think of the
>software?  Is it easy to use and flexible (unlike Forem, on both
>accounts).

Hi there,

I am a Co-Sysop on a board called Dragon Keep here in Florida.  In The
Beginning we were running off a 1040 ST using Express software.  It
was pretty easy to customize, we were constantly getting compliments
on it because everyone is so used to seeing Forem apparently.  You
might want to check out Express, let me know if you can't seem to find
it.  E-mail to cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."