[comp.sys.atari.st] The 'Phantom Typest'--It's back: in TOS

beroll@ecs.umass.edu (03/16/90)

I know you are all getting tired of reading about this phenomannon (sp?) but it
happened to me in a way that sounds unique.  I've had it in WordWriter ST, but
now I got it while in my desk top.   Heres what happened.

I was trying to put Uniterm in an AUTO folder so I could (be lazy) and run it
as the computer was turned on.  It didn't work (any ideas?) and I got 4 bombs (
I for got what that means) and then after the bombs I was returned to my
desktop.  I couldn't do anything without noving the mouse after it.  To open a
file I had to double click it then move the mouse.  I was uning no desk acc's
just my 1040 ST(f) with 1 meg and TOS (1.2 I beleive).

I was able to replicate the problem every time I tried to boot up with the
uniterm program in an AUTO folder.

                                               Dave

 David Beroll
 University of Massachusetts
 College of Mechanical Engineering

 Bitnet:BEROLL@umaecs.bitnet
 Intnet:BEROLL@ecs.umass.edu

cosc10hv@judy.uh.edu (Paul Sears) (03/22/90)

In article <9343.25ffe423@ecs.umass.edu>, beroll@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> I know you are all getting tired of reading about this phenomannon (sp?) but it
> happened to me in a way that sounds unique.  I've had it in WordWriter ST, but
> now I got it while in my desk top.   Heres what happened.
>
> I was trying to put Uniterm in an AUTO folder so I could (be lazy) and run it
> as the computer was turned on.  It didn't work (any ideas?) and I got 4 bombs (
> I for got what that means) and then after the bombs I was returned to my
> desktop.  I couldn't do anything without noving the mouse after it.  To open a
> file I had to double click it then move the mouse.  I was uning no desk acc's
> just my 1040 ST(f) with 1 meg and TOS (1.2 I beleive).
>
> I was able to replicate the problem every time I tried to boot up with the
> uniterm program in an AUTO folder.
>
>                                                Dave

Well, one of your problems is apparant - UNITERM can't be run directly in the
AUTO folder.  Uniterm is a full GEM programs and GEM is not loaded until AFTER
the programs in the AUTO folder are run first.  Almost any GEM program run in
the auto folder will bomb...

                |  Paul Sears       University of Houston  |
                |                   COSC10HV@Elroy.Uh.Edu  |
                | 129.7.1.2      or TECHJW@Elroy.Uh.Edu    |

        'the greater an individual's power over others,
        the greater the evil that might possibly originate with him'
                -  PROPAGANDA, off the CD, A SECRET WISH