[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac Portable Clone

keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) (03/21/90)

I read this is the March 19 issue of EE Times.  I thought it was
interesting.

Colorado Springs - The first machine that allows a Mac owner to leave
his desktop Mac and go mobile has been engineered here by Outbound
systems Inc.

The Outbound Portable Computer borrows the Mac Toolbox ROMs for its
system software, delivering full Mac operation in a notebook computer
about half the size - and price - of Apple's own portable.

Outbound's host cpu is a CMOS 16MHz 68000 processor, the same found on
the $6500 Mac Portable.  When docked to its Mac host via a peripherial
cable and internal adapter card, the notebook computer provides double
speed CPU operation and a second screen.

On its own, the 9 pound Outbound operates for more than 3 hours on
standard camcorder batteries.  A $250 optional ROM package allows the
now ROM-less Mac to be accessed remotely as a file server - no screen
operation of the Mac is possible without Apple's Toolbox ROMs.

The Outbound display betters the Mac Portable's active-matrix LCD screen
by using a fluorescent backlit supertwist LCD panel.  Outbound is the
first commerial user of the Isopoint screen-cusor control system, a
keyboard spacebar sized technology from Alps America that allows X-Y
screen control without a mouse or trackball.

A $2995 Outbound comes with a Mac and IBM capable floppy drive.  $1000
more adds a 2 1/2 inch PrairieTek hard drive.  Both versions allow
standrad DRAM single-in-line memory modules to be used as silicon
drives.

Looks like a bit of competition for Stacy and GCR if Stacy ever
produces.

Keith
keithr@icogem3.ICO.TEK.COM

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/22/90)

In article <4851@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) writes:
>I read this is the March 19 issue of EE Times.  I thought it was
>interesting.

>Colorado Springs - The first machine that allows a Mac owner to leave
>his desktop Mac and go mobile has been engineered here by Outbound
>systems Inc.
>
>The Outbound Portable Computer borrows the Mac Toolbox ROMs for its
>system software, delivering full Mac operation in a notebook computer
>about half the size - and price - of Apple's own portable.
Is Outbound the same as Wallaby?  They announced the same thing
last fall.  Any info?

-Chandra
 topgun@brandeis.cs.edu