[comp.sys.atari.st] 386 disk compatability problem

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar16.045429.21246@cs.uoregon.edu>, scott@vortex.uoregon.edu (Scott Settlemier) writes:

>Also, I need some help to read my atari disks with my source code on my
>new 386 machine. They are the same format aren't they? What do I do to
>the disks so my 386 can read them? I need to be able to do this with my
>386 since I can't get to the atari for quite awhile. Thanks.

I had the same problem.  I found that I had a virus on all my atari disks.  It
is called the Key virus, and you are more likely than not to have it also.
It can be eradicated with Vkiller, available from terminator (new version just
came out).  Also, I use a program called PS2FORM, gotten from panarthea to
format my disks for IBM use.  It might also be on terminator.  You must get
rid of the virus if you have it, or any IBM disk will be unreadable after
insertion in the Atari (only unreadable on the IBM's, the atari will not
complain).  This drove me nuts for awhile, and it feels nice to be virus free.

              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead