[comp.sys.atari.st] omnires and TOS 1.4

cjy@uafhcx.uucp (Calvin Yockey) (03/22/90)

Has anyone seen or created a new 'omnires.inf' file for TOS 1.4?  Omnires quit
working when I changed ROMs, and I assume this is why.  Thanks for any help.

Calvin Yockey
cjy@uafhcx.uark.edu
University of Arkansas

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (03/24/90)

>Has anyone seen or created a new 'omnires.inf' file for TOS 1.4?  Omnires quit
>working when I changed ROMs, and I assume this is why.  Thanks for any help.
----------

Yikes!  I was going to place an order for omnires today, but now
I'm waiting.

Anybody have this information?

By the way, how satisfied are you (that is anybody who uses it) with
the performace of omnires with a color monitor emualating mono?

-Bob

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/25/90)

In article <750058@hpsad.HP.COM>, bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) writes:
>>Has anyone seen or created a new 'omnires.inf' file for TOS 1.4?  Omnires quit
>>working when I changed ROMs, and I assume this is why.  Thanks for any help.
>----------
>
>Yikes!  I was going to place an order for omnires today, but now
>I'm waiting.
>
>Anybody have this information?
>
>By the way, how satisfied are you (that is anybody who uses it) with
>the performace of omnires with a color monitor emualating mono?
>
>-Bob

It does not look very good.  I wish I had saved up my cash and bought a mono
monitor.  The emulation does work, and is quite an achievement, but the color
monitors just don't have the resolution to give an acceptable display.  Also,
everything slows down miserably.  Going the other way (emulating a color on a
mono) is probably a much more useful job for this program.  From recent
postings, it appears that one can get a Multisync monitor capable of showing
the mono resolution with equal clarity as the Atari monitor (both setups I
have seen have not been as clear, but the postings indicated a need for a
monochrome mode switch on the Multisync, in addition to the actual switcher
for the two resolutions).  The color display on such monitors is dazzling,
much better than any Atari color display I have ever seen.

              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
          FSU Computer Science       |      Even I have trouble doing it."
        Technical Support Group      |
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead