[comp.sys.atari.st] Z*Mag article: Atari layoffs.

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (03/19/90)

Pulled this off of GEnie this weekend. I'm enclosing it here
without comment because, frankly, I don't know what to make of
it...

--------------

This is a special Z*BREAK news flash from

           //////       //    //  //////  //////
              //   /   ///   //  //        //
           //    ///  // // //  //////    //
        //       /   //   ///  //        //  O N L I N E
       //////       //    //  ///////   //

         The Weekly ATARI NEWS FIRST Online Magazine!
March 16, 1990:

ATARI CORPORTATION LAID OFF 15% of ALL U.S. EMPLOYEES,
EFFECTIVE AT 5PM PACIFIC TIME TODAY.

This cutback and layoff is NOT a temporary measure for those
who received their termination notice at the close of business
today in the Sunnyvale, California offices of Atari.  No
expectation of callbacks in the foreseeable future was extended to
the employees.

The layoffs occurred at the service level of all departments, but
particularly hard hit were Accounts Payable and Credit, losing 50%
or more of their staff.

Of the "Name" people that most of the public has any contact with,
there were no terminations.  Popular figures such as Bob Brodie,
Charles Cherry, and others were not directly affected.
Additionally, no changes at the executive level were made public.

Conjecture by those near ATARI is that the cutbacks are due to the
fact that Atari simply has no product ready for immediate sale,
and that the bulk of those laid off had little to do that is
essential to the current level of U.S. Operations.  The fact that
the upper level employees were spared gives some reason to expect
that this is not a long-term reduction in overall operation, but
more an immediate action for an immediate situation.

CEO of Atari, Sam Trameil, was unavailable for comment or for
employee negotiation today, having left the USA for computer shows
in Europe earlier in the week.

Z*NET will have more on this story as it develops this week...
look for details in the next Z*NET ONLINE MAGAZINE, issue #513,
available starting Friday, March 23, 1990.  And, as usual, Z*NET
will bring you ATARI NEWS FIRST.

Copyright 1990 by ROVAC INDUSTRIES of Middlesex, New Jersey.
Reprint permission granted as long as the entire text is quoted
and Z*NET is credited.

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/19/90)

Yeah, Atari is hurting.  Honest, I'll find the time to post the
credit analysis of Atari Corp.  They are in deep yogurt.

Since 16mhz 68030's are a dime a dozen now, maybe Atari should
consider a beefier TT (you know, that machine that has been due
REAL SOON NOW for almost a year..hehe).

Hope Atari gets their house in order.  It is getting depressing watching
all our US hi-tech companies fold.  sigh...

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar19.052429.4082@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> Yeah, Atari is hurting.  Honest, I'll find the time to post the
> credit analysis of Atari Corp.  They are in deep yogurt.

Sigh.  Atari isn't the only company who is laying off people.
Check out Apple (for instance).

> Since 16mhz 68030's are a dime a dozen now, maybe Atari should

Hey, great!  I'll take a dozen.  Where do I send the 10 cents?

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University