[comp.sys.atari.st] Techno-Marketing-Blab

kawakami@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (03/27/90)

In article <90032523232155@masnet.uucp> david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) writes:
>I don't know why we're all so worried about the future of Atari. Right
>now, my ST lets me do some decent DTP, read e-mail, word process, and
>(using MT-CShell) gives me an incredibly cheap platform for developing
>Unix-like software at home instead of spending too much time sitting
>in front of an orange monitor under florescent lights. Sure, it's out of

 Actually, the ST is not "incredibly" cheap.  If you are willing to buy
 used equipment, you can get decent deals on used workstations (with software
 and drives included.)

>date -- so are the Mac, Amiga, and anything which runs MS DOS (I include
>Windows and MSDOS's messy follower, OS2). There's a new generation on
>the horizon, which will be so much larger and faster than any home
>computers that we won't know how we ever got along with only a few lousy
>megabytes and speeds under 50mhz. We'll have multi-gigabyte HDs and
>machines running really nice graphic interfaces on top of a (usually
>invisible) Unix, all for a little more than the price of an ST today.

That new generation will be very pricy for a while.  I think the real next
generation will be multiprocessorr RISC based small workstations which
cost more than $7000.  The fake next generation will be the technological
equivalent of Sun 3/50s and 3/60s.  Unlike the MacII, they will be reasonably
priced and have a real OS.  They will be designed as scaled down workstations
and not like scaled up micros , unlike all those evil '486 MS-dOS/2 machines.
In all honsty, I don't know if the TT was designed that way, but it looks more
like a "nice" computer than all those clone machines.

>David Megginson, Centre for Medieval Studies
>BITNET: meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca

John Kawakami       kawakami@earthquake.berkeley.edu
                    ucbvax!earthquake.berkeley.edu!kawakami
                    take-a-right-up-the-hill-then-a-left-on-leroy