[comp.sys.atari.st] Virus on the ST

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/25/90)

I hope I got the plural of virus right!!  ;->

After having to deal with an outbreak of the "Stoned" virus on several of
our PC's, I wish to clarify some things that I have heard about the virus
situation on the ST (this could be out of date).  Is it still true that:

       1.  No known virus on the ST infects or otherwise screws up a
           fixed (hard) disk.

       2.  No known virus on the ST attaches itself to other files, as
           opposed to the standard bootsector method.

I am getting ready to gear up for a hard drive, and I want to know these
things before I start throwing all my stuff on it (some of it european).

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
          FSU Computer Science       |      Even I have trouble doing it."
        Technical Support Group      |
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (03/26/90)

In article <9003250646.AA11299@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>I hope I got the plural of virus right!!  ;->
>
>After having to deal with an outbreak of the "Stoned" virus on several of
>our PC's, I wish to clarify some things that I have heard about the virus
>situation on the ST (this could be out of date).  Is it still true that:
>
>       1.  No known virus on the ST infects or otherwise screws up a
>           fixed (hard) disk.
>
>       2.  No known virus on the ST attaches itself to other files, as
>           opposed to the standard bootsector method.
>
>I am getting ready to gear up for a hard drive, and I want to know these
>things before I start throwing all my stuff on it (some of it european).

This depends upon where you are, and where the software you will be using
has come from.

Here in the USA, to my knowledge, both statements are true so long as
you realize that by the time you read this, things may have changed.

Since you mention that some of the software you will be loading to
your hard disk has originated in Europe, neither statement is absolutely
true.

I've heard of, but not received samples of, both link and hard drive
attacking viruses in Europe. Until I have something concrete to base
any opinions on, all I can say is that the possibility exists, and that
you should proceed with caution.

--
* George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA *
*   or:       ..!{philabs|csun|psivax}!ttidca!woodside *

stefan@spcc386.UUCP (Stefan Posthuma) (03/28/90)

Mickey Boyd writes:
>After having to deal with an outbreak of the "Stoned" virus on several of
>our PC's, I wish to clarify some things that I have heard about the virus
>situation on the ST (this could be out of date).  Is it still true that:
>
>       1.  No known virus on the ST infects or otherwise screws up a
>           fixed (hard) disk.
>
>       2.  No known virus on the ST attaches itself to other files, as
>           opposed to the standard bootsector method.

Well, out here in Europe we DEFINATELY have link-viruses. There are about four
of those, but since some crappy German magazine published a listing of a link-
virus and since the utterly disgusting 'Virus Construction Kit' has been out,
who knows what kind of viruses are being spread. I don't know about viruses
that screw up a hard disk, I haven't encountered any yet. A friend of mine has
been on top of viruses ever since the first one was discovered and we have
disassembled quite some viruses already.
Get yourself a very good viruskiller (the same friend has written a very
extensive one but I shouldn't be advertising) and be very careful with new
software.
  "Oh my God, it is the attack of the Half-Crazed Mutant Teenage Alien Computer
  "Relax! It are just some SPCC employees" | uunet!mcvax!spcc386!stefan