[comp.sys.atari.st] RAM expansion

HAMMOUDH@Wabash.BITNET (03/25/90)

  Hello netters!
  I am very interested in Zubair Interfaces' Z-RAM 3-D 4 Meg expansion
board.  If anyone has it, could you tell me how you like it.  Did you
install it yourself?  How easy/hard is the installation?  Will it easily
fit into an old 520 ST with an RF modulator and an EXternal drive?  Any
information you send me will be greatly appreciated.
  I would also like to thank all of you who send me email regarding my last
post.  I have decided to go with a commercial product because I am afraid
that I would otherwise ruin my ST (I am nowhere near being a technical
person.
  Thank you much!
                                Hassen K. Hammoud

        HAMMOUDH@WABASH

wao@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.a.oswald) (03/29/90)

In article <9003270805.AA13117@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> HAMMOUDH@Wabash.BITNET writes:

>  Hello netters!
>  I am very interested in Zubair Interfaces' Z-RAM 3-D 4 Meg expansion
>board.  If anyone has it, could you tell me how you like it.  Did you
>install it yourself?  How easy/hard is the installation?  Will it easily
>fit into an old 520 ST with an RF modulator and an EXternal drive?  Any
>information you send me will be greatly appreciated.

I installed the beast into my 1040st (REV. B). It works great. I had
to cut the power lines to the on board ram to get the thing to work.
That process is outlined in the instructions. Placing the pin grid
board over the MMU is no picnic, patience is a must! You should have
and know how to use an ohmmeter. I cut off the cover of the video
shifter box but the main RF shield was replaced intact. One problem
you may have is that there is a large capacitor in the video shifter
box that might have to be moved (different versions of the mother
board). I moved it by de-soldering it and running two jumpers
to its leads. It is still in the shifter box but now it lays flat.
Would I do it again? Yes!!

I hope this helps
Bill Oswald
aloft!wao