[comp.sys.atari.st] Ram expansion on STes

DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET (03/10/90)

In France ( and, I suppose, in Europe too ), there is no trouble about
expanding
memory on STes. Every Atari retailer offers STes up to 4 MB, and I've seen
someone buying a 8 MB machine. Of course, Atari does not make himself the
upgrade, and these are in fact 1040 STes. When you ask for more memory, the
retailers simply open the 1040 and see if it needs SIMMs or SIPs. BTW, Atari
doesn't sell 520 STEs at this moment, because it would be cheaper to buy a
1040-expanded 520 than a true 1040 ( as an expanded Mega ST1 is cheaper than a
Mega ST2 or ST4 ). Indeed, memory expansion goes cheaper and cheaper : an 1 MB
SIMM now costs here 890 FF ( about $ 150 ), and a 4160 STE is 6990 FF ( $ 1100
).

Eric Dujardin
Ecole Superieure d'Electricite ( SUPELEC ) - France

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/11/90)

In article <9003100804.AA03794@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET writes:
>In France ( and, I suppose, in Europe too ), there is no trouble about
>expanding
>memory on STes. Every Atari retailer offers STes up to 4 MB, and I've seen
>someone buying a 8 MB machine. Of course, Atari does not make himself the
>upgrade, and these are in fact 1040 STes. When you ask for more memory, the
>retailers simply open the 1040 and see if it needs SIMMs or SIPs. BTW, Atari
>doesn't sell 520 STEs at this moment, because it would be cheaper to buy a
>1040-expanded 520 than a true 1040 ( as an expanded Mega ST1 is cheaper than a
>Mega ST2 or ST4 ). Indeed, memory expansion goes cheaper and cheaper : an 1 MB
>SIMM now costs here 890 FF ( about $ 150 ), and a 4160 STE is 6990 FF ( $ 1100
>).

Well, you can get 1mb of 80ns SIMM from the Chip Merchant for about
US$70.

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

peterii@joshua2.UUCP (Peter Bechtold) (03/17/90)

In article <9003100804.AA03794@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET writes:
> In France ( and, I suppose, in Europe too ), there is no trouble about
> expanding
> memory on STes. Every Atari retailer offers STes up to 4 MB, and I've seen
> someone buying a 8 MB machine.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is that possible ?
There are only 4 slots to put SIMMs in ... Each has got up to 1 MB, that is
a maximum of 4 MB, isn't it ??

> (...)
> BTW, Atari
> doesn't sell 520 STEs at this moment, because it would be cheaper to buy a
> 1040-expanded 520 than a true 1040 ( as an expanded Mega ST1 is cheaper than a
> Mega ST2 or ST4 ). Indeed, memory expansion goes cheaper and cheaper : an 1 MB
> SIMM now costs here 890 FF ( about $ 150 ), and a 4160 STE is 6990 FF ( $ 1100

It may be true that upgrading a 500k ST to a 1M St would be cheaper than
buying a original 1M machine, but in any case, ATARI is not going to sell
any 500k machines in future (and they don't sell them now either).
The minimum ram size is 1M.

pii

--
-> peterii%joshua2@nadia.UUCP <-
-> real name : Peter Bechtold <-

S.R.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk (S.R. Foster) (03/20/90)

In article <7446844@joshua2.UUCP> peterii@joshua2.UUCP (Peter Bechtold) writes:
>In article <9003100804.AA03794@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET writes:
>> [previous bit about poss 8m machine deleted]
>
>  [reply about 4 slots deleted]
>
>> (...)
>> BTW, Atari
>> doesn't sell 520 STEs at this moment, because it would be cheaper to buy a
>> 1040-expanded 520 than a true 1040 ( as an expanded Mega ST1 is cheaper than a
>> Mega ST2 or ST4 ). Indeed, memory expansion goes cheaper and cheaper : an 1 MB
>> SIMM now costs here 890 FF ( about $ 150 ), and a 4160 STE is 6990 FF ( $ 1100
>
>It may be true that upgrading a 500k ST to a 1M St would be cheaper than
>buying a original 1M machine, but in any case, ATARI is not going to sell
>any 500k machines in future (and they don't sell them now either).
>The minimum ram size is 1M.

This is just NOT TRUE. I have some friends who have bought 520STe's
from ordinary computer retailers. Most of the companies currently
advertising in ST WORLD (UK) are advertising 520STe packs, and they
have them in stock.

                               ...Steve

+--------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| JANET : S.R.Foster@uk.ac.newcastle   | "No", said Rincewind. "Not precisely, |
| ARPA  : S.R.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk   | Let's just say that if complete and   |
| UUCP  : ...!ukc!newcastle!S.R.Foster | utter chaos was lightning, then he'd  |
| SNAIL : S.R.Foster                   | be the sort to stand on a hilltop in  |
|         Ethel Williams Hall,         | a thunderstorm wearing wet copper     |
|         Eastfield Road, Benton,      | armour and shouting 'All gods are     |
|         Newcastle-upon-Tyne,         | bastards'. Got any food ?"            |
|         NE12 9TY.                    |                                       |
|                                      | "The Colour of Magic", T. Pratchett   |
+--------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (03/21/90)

From article <7446844@joshua2.UUCP>, by peterii@joshua2.UUCP (Peter Bechtold):
> In article <9003100804.AA03794@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET writes:
>> BTW, Atari
>> doesn't sell 520 STEs at this moment, because it would be cheaper to buy a
>> 1040-expanded 520 than a true 1040 ( as an expanded Mega ST1 is cheaper than a
>> Mega ST2 or ST4 ). Indeed, memory expansion goes cheaper and cheaper : an 1 MB

Atari is certainly selling 520STEs in the UK.  You are right that it is
cheaper to buy a 520STE and expand the memory than to buy a 1040STE.
One dealer in the UK is offering an expanded 1mb 520STE for 345 pounds
(as opposed to 499 pounds for an official 1040STE) and even a 4mb 520STE
for 599 pounds (or 625 pounds, depending on which magazine you read).

Very tempting.

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

euaanu@eua.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin) (03/21/90)

In article <7446844@joshua2.UUCP> peterii@joshua2.UUCP (Peter Bechtold) writes:
>There are only 4 slots to put SIMMs in ... Each has got up to 1 MB, that is
>a maximum of 4 MB, isn't it ??

Maybe they can use 4M SIMMs (if there are any yet) so two of these
would make 8MB. (Just a guess).

>It may be true that upgrading a 500k ST to a 1M St would be cheaper than
>buying a original 1M machine, but in any case, ATARI is not going to sell
>any 500k machines in future (and they don't sell them now either).
>The minimum ram size is 1M.

Here in Sweden they sell the 520STE and it's about $250 less
than the 1040STE. For that money you can get a 2M upgrade
( If you order the SIMMs from US) so I see no reason for buing the 1040STE.

-
--
Arto.Nummelin@euas20.ericsson.se
---

ehood@ics.uci.edu (Earl Hood) (03/22/90)

	What it says in the summary.  I do not know exactly how it is done
but that was what I was told by a friend.

--
Earl Hood (UC Irvine) ------------------------------->	ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (03/22/90)

In article <2380@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
>Atari is certainly selling 520STEs in the UK.  You are right that it is
>cheaper to buy a 520STE and expand the memory than to buy a 1040STE.
>One dealer in the UK is offering an expanded 1mb 520STE for 345 pounds
>(as opposed to 499 pounds for an official 1040STE) and even a 4mb 520STE
>for 599 pounds (or 625 pounds, depending on which magazine you read).

This is great stuff but we'd better get our orders in quick. Atari UK
may start selling the old STFM's with a slightly-serious-pack (ie. not
many games but Kuma business software) for 299 pounds but at the same
time increasing the price of an STe to 300 pounds without any supporting
pack. This is apparently to make it clear that the STe is definitely an
upgrade.

This seems slightly crazy. Who's going to write software for the STe
when most customers are taking advantage of a cheaper STFM (which Atari
UK now seem to be pushing as a business machine!).

The only way to go is to get rid of the STFM sales and force people into
moving ahead with the STE (at the price it is at the moment - 399 pounds
with the large software pack).

Is Atari US going to try the same thing?

Mark.

(Why doesn't anyone put bl**dy pound signs on keyboards???)

In article <2981@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>time increasing the price of an STe to 300 pounds without any supporting
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^
Oops, sorry I mean they might increase the price to 399 pounds without
suporting pack!

Mark.

DUJARDIN@FRESE51.BITNET (03/29/90)

In article <9003100804.AA03794@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, I wrote :

..
>..I've seen someone buying a 8 MB machine..

..which was not exactly true. In fact, the retailer is actually PLANNING to
offer such expansions. They would do this by plugging in (maybe specials ?) 4
MB
SIMM boards. They still don't know at what price they would sell this.
For those who are interested, the retailer is AXE-3D in Paris (I don't remember
the address, see add in ST-magazine - or your minitel).