[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega ST4 slows down and seizes ...

romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) (03/26/90)

A friend of mine is having problems with running WP for extended
periods of time on a Mega ST4.  She has GDOS setup using Neocept's
driver for and HP DeskJet+.  After about an hour of heavy usage, the
whole system slows down to a crawl (consistently) and all menu
operations/dialog boxes etc. take minutes to process.  Does anyone
have any clues as to what is causing the problem?  Her documents
aren't terribly long (about 12 pages each).  It seems like the system
is bleeding memory somewhere since getting out of WP to the desktop
and coming back into WP doesn't help.  It requires a full softboot to
fix things up.  Could it be TurboJet, the GDOS driver?  At this time
she is only using WP so she can live without GDOS being installed.

advTHANKSance

Pavneet Arora
...!utgpu!rom!pavneet

         or

rom!pavneet@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6
(416) 586-5626

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar26.145406.13953@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:
>A friend of mine is having problems with running WP for extended
>periods of time on a Mega ST4.  She has GDOS setup using Neocept's
>driver for and HP DeskJet+.  After about an hour of heavy usage, the
>whole system slows down to a crawl (consistently) and all menu
>operations/dialog boxes etc. take minutes to process.  Does anyone
>have any clues as to what is causing the problem?  Her documents
>aren't terribly long (about 12 pages each).  It seems like the system
>is bleeding memory somewhere since getting out of WP to the desktop
>and coming back into WP doesn't help.  It requires a full softboot to
>fix things up.  Could it be TurboJet, the GDOS driver?  At this time
>she is only using WP so she can live without GDOS being installed.
>
>advTHANKSance
>
>Pavneet Arora
>...!utgpu!rom!pavneet
>
>         or
>
>rom!pavneet@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
>
>Royal Ontario Museum
>100 Queen's Park
>Toronto, Ontario
>M5S 2C6
>(416) 586-5626

There is at least one virus on the ST that exhibits a system slowdown as one
of it's symptomes.  Get VKILLER from terminator, (new version 3.something),
and see if that cures your problem.  If you cannot ftp, send me email.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
          FSU Computer Science       |      Even I have trouble doing it."
        Technical Support Group      |
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar26.145406.13953@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:
>A friend of mine is having problems with running WP for extended
>periods of time on a Mega ST4.  She has GDOS setup using Neocept's
>driver for and HP DeskJet+.  After about an hour of heavy usage, the
>whole system slows down to a crawl (consistently) and all menu
>operations/dialog boxes etc. take minutes to process.  Does anyone
>have any clues as to what is causing the problem?  Her documents

Sounds like it's related to the infamous "phantom typist".  Ask your
friend to try moving the mouse slightly after each keypress or mouse
operation, the next time the problem strikes.  If moving the mouse
causes the keypresses or menu operations to take effect immediately
rather than minutes later, then it's the same problem that many of us
have been having periodically with WP and other keyboard intensive
applications.

Assuming that it is the same problem, can she really consistently
recreate it after an hour of use?  If so, I'd really like to know the
exact configuration of her system, including order of \AUTO\ prgs etc.
Better yet, I'd really like Atari Corp. to know the exact
configuration of her system, so that they can finally confirm the
existence of the problem, and hopefully do something about it.

BBB
--
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Philosophy

mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) (03/29/90)

Hmmm... I don't have any problems of the sort that you describe,
although my programs are different, my system doesn;t slow down to
a crawl.

I have a Mega 4, use GDOS, and use Microsoft Write. The documents
that I work on are around 50-60 pages, and sometimes I have four
documents in memory. I have configured a 2Mb Ramdrive using the
Rambaby program (Intersect) and have QSTAUTO (a graphics speedup
program), FSELV6 (a file selector) and FOLDR100 in my AUTO folder.

I suspect it might be the driver somehow slowing the system down...

--
                             Mark Newton-John
   (ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/30/90)

In article <2775@sactoh0.UUCP>, mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:

>Hmmm... I don't have any problems of the sort that you describe,
>although my programs are different, my system doesn;t slow down to
>a crawl.
>
>I have a Mega 4, use GDOS, and use Microsoft Write. The documents
>that I work on are around 50-60 pages, and sometimes I have four
>documents in memory. I have configured a 2Mb Ramdrive using the
>Rambaby program (Intersect) and have QSTAUTO (a graphics speedup
>program), FSELV6 (a file selector) and FOLDR100 in my AUTO folder.
>
>I suspect it might be the driver somehow slowing the system down...
>

>--
>                             Mark Newton-John
>   (ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA
>           ucdavis!csusac! - sactoh0!mfolivo
>              uunet!mmsac! /      the good guys!

You could try installing G+Plus instead of GDOS.  This should result in a
speed increase.