[comp.sys.atari.st] UNIX clone from Mark Williams Co.

) (03/29/90)

In recent issue of Byte there is an ad of Mark William Co  (they
made the Mark William C for the ST) for their product "Coherent", a
unix clone for IBM for $99.95 (US).  It includes everything you
expects from a UNIX system, over 200 commands/utilities, lex, yacc,
uucp, C complier, etc.  Does anyone know if th`at will be ported to
the ST?

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (03/29/90)

In article <9365@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs161fca@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Say no to core dump!) writes:

|In recent issue of Byte there is an ad of Mark William Co  (they
|made the Mark William C for the ST) for their product "Coherent", a
|unix clone for IBM for $99.95 (US).  It includes everything you
|expects from a UNIX system, over 200 commands/utilities, lex, yacc,
|uucp, C complier, etc.  Does anyone know if th`at will be ported to
|the ST?

Sounds like the toolkit that comes with their C compiler for the
ST less the lex, yacc, uucp. They have long made software for
Coherent systems and PC's ...

Presumably they would port it to the ST if possible.

 ~ ___________________________________________________________
 ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
 ~ |__________________________|__RENO___NEVADA_______________|

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (03/29/90)

[In article <3787@tahoe.unr.edu>,
     mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) writes ... ]

> In article <9365@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs161fca@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Say no to core dump!) writes:
> |
> |In recent issue of Byte there is an ad of Mark William Co  (they
> |made the Mark William C for the ST) for their product "Coherent", a
> |unix clone for IBM for $99.95 (US).  It includes everything you
> |expects from a UNIX system, over 200 commands/utilities, lex, yacc,
> |uucp, C complier, etc.  Does anyone know if that will be ported to
> |the ST?
>
> Sounds like the toolkit that comes with their C compiler for the
> ST less the lex, yacc, uucp. They have long made software for
> Coherent systems and PC's ...
>
> Presumably they would port it to the ST if possible.

Coherent is a complete multitasking Unix-like operating system, not a
toolkit that runs on top of an existing operating system. It looks to me
as if it's being positioned as a more reliable alternative than Minix and
a less expensive option than Xenix and the "real Unixes."

$99.95 is a darned reasonable price, and a big cut from the $495 they used
to charge. If Idris or the complete version of OS/9 had been marketed for
the ST at that level, they might actually have sold a few copies.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an ST port of Coherent. I
expect the Mark Williams Co. has better things to do than write oddball
early-1980s-style software for an unadvertised, erratically marketed and
usually unavailable computer.
--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

jmberkey@watnow.waterloo.edu (J. Michael Berkley) (03/30/90)

> On 29 Mar 90 01:56:58 GMT, mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) said:

In article <9365@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs161fca@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Say no to core dump!) writes:
> |In recent issue of Byte there is an ad of Mark William Co  (they
> |made the Mark William C for the ST) for their product "Coherent", a
> |unix clone for IBM for $99.95 (US).

MW> Sounds like the toolkit that comes with their C compiler for the
MW> ST less the lex, yacc, uucp. They have long made software for
MW> Coherent systems and PC's ...

Nope, Coherent is a real Unix clone.  Not as fast as QNX, but much,
much more Unix like.  I don't think MWC was planning a port to the
Atari.

 Mike Berkley, University of Waterloo
 PAMI Lab
 jmberkey@watnow.waterloo.edu
 {utai,uunet}!watmath!watnow!jmberkey

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (03/30/90)

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
> cs161fca@sdcc10.ucsd.edu writes:
> > made the Mark William C for the ST) for their product "Coherent", a
	[...]
> > Does anyone know if that will be ported to the ST?
> Presumably they would port it to the ST if possible.

A long time ago (at least 18 months) I remember Daniel Glasser, at
that time an MWC employee [I believe; corrections solicited]
mentioning that MWC had ported Coherent to a slightly-modified 1040.
The mods involved building a little MMU (the chip Atari calls an MMU
is more of a memory controller than a memory _manager_) from MSI logic
to enforce interprocess memory protection and to do dynamic relocation
(i.e., every user task believes it has memory starting @ 0 or some
other small fixed value, and can't write to system or other process
memory spaces).

I believe they decided that the product wasn't marketable, which is
sad since Minix-ST has shown how much hackers would like a small Un*x
clone for the ST platform.  Perhaps we could persuade MWC to release
schematics and/or a board layout for their MMU?  I would gladly pay
two hundred dollars or so for one, if it gave me (say) base-and-limit
registers for User I&D plus Super I&D - four base-and-limit pairs
would be adequate.  Another one or two or three to handle DMA accesses
and/or interrupt vector fetches and/or video accesses would be nice
but hardly nescessary.

Daniel, are you still out there?  Any chance of this?  I'd settle for
just a schematic.  This would be lots of fun even without Coherent;
MMU support could be stuck into Minix without too-too major surgery
I think.  It would be a lot of fun.

BTW, I don't mind carving on my ST because I don't really care whether
it runs or not.  I am moving to a used Sun 3/50, and taking my SCSI
peripherals with me, Uncle Jack can stick that in his "TTx" pipe and
smoke it :-P.  The TTx is two years late and 50% too slow, 16 MHz
indeed.  If Atari had just stuck to its knitting (designing, building,
and marketing _computers_) instead of fiddling around in the LBO arena
and getting *burned*, both they and we would be far better off IMHO.
But hey, who ever listens to the customers?  With luck, maybe MWC?!

Ross Alexander    (403) 675 6311    rwa@aungbad.AthabascaU.CA    VE6PDQ