[comp.sys.atari.st] UUCP implementation?

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (03/26/90)

Has anyone gotten an implementation of UUCP running on the ST?  I've tried
Mailtruk, but it just doesn't want to work with my host system (MT drops
characters at 2400 baud, my host won't accept 1200).  I remember someone
was trying to get UUPC running, and I even have some source patches to that
effect, but my floppy-only system just can't handle a C-compile that big.
ARRGH!  must be time to either get a hard disk or else get an IBM clone
with a hard disk.

In any event, if someone could mail me a uuencoded EXECUTABLE of a working
UUPC/UUCP implementation that will run on a 512K ST with one DS and one SS
floppy (and will support reliable 2400-baud operation), I would be forever
in their debt.

Does a working UUCP exist under MINIX as well? MTC-shell?

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this request!
--
Bill Meahan			|  UUCP: uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm
				| snail: 128 Factory St., Ypsilanti, MI 48197
#include <disclaimer.std>	| voice: +1 313 484 9320
/* witty */			|packet: wa8tzg @ wa8ooh.mi.usa.na

ripley@tubopal.UUCP (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar26.143622.18337@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
]Has anyone gotten an implementation of UUCP running on the ST?  I've tried
]Mailtruk, but it just doesn't want to work with my host system (MT drops
]characters at 2400 baud, my host won't accept 1200). [...]
Are you running MailTruck from within the GfA-Interpreter ?
You might want to compile it for speed-improvement...

]was trying to get UUPC running, and I even have some source patches to that
]effect, but my floppy-only system just can't handle a C-compile that big.
]ARRGH!  must be time to either get a hard disk or else get an IBM clone
]with a hard disk.
As the newest version has been tagged 1.0, I might mention a system written
by a friend in Stuttgart which is called Mercury UUCP Modules.

It provides a complete (although simple) Mail & News system for the Atari ST
running under TOS !

]In any event, if someone could mail me a uuencoded EXECUTABLE of a working
]UUPC/UUCP implementation that will run on a 512K ST with one DS and one SS
]floppy (and will support reliable 2400-baud operation), I would be forever
]in their debt.
Don't ask me to send away Mercury UUCP... I only have a test-version (0.926)
and it is not that small. I don't have a fat documentation either.

]Does a working UUCP exist under MINIX as well? MTC-shell?
There is bdt-uucp especially for the MT C-Shell. If you're having RS232-
support in your Minix-Kernel, a portation of Gnuucp should be quite
straight-forward.

Greetings,
				RIPLEY

--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar26.143622.18337@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Does a working UUCP exist under MINIX as well? MTC-shell?

Yes MT C-Shell has a supported UUCP, called MT C-Shell UUCP.  The
package sells for $49.95 retail.  It has uucp file and mail support
and is set uop and run similar to Un*x UUCP, with uucico running
from cron and a L.sys file defining the links.   It also supports
two-way use of the same modem (incoming and outgoing calls on the
same line).  There is also a scaled-down PD version of news software
available for it from our BDT BBS (415) 530-9682.

>--
>Bill Meahan			|  UUCP: uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "I'll forgive you Dad...  If you have
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| a breath mint."

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (03/29/90)

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>]Has anyone gotten an implementation of UUCP running on the ST?  I've tried
>]Mailtruk, but it just doesn't want to work with my host system (MT drops
>]characters at 2400 baud, my host won't accept 1200). [...]

The Atari TOS buffers characters from which MailTruk merely extracts them.
Furthermore, the packet protocol does a checksum on the data packet and
requests retransmission of bad packets.  So my question is what makes
you think the problem is character dropping????

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.232857.6057@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
>wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>>]Has anyone gotten an implementation of UUCP running on the ST?  I've tried
>>]Mailtruk, but it just doesn't want to work with my host system (MT drops
>>]characters at 2400 baud, my host won't accept 1200). [...]
>
>The Atari TOS buffers characters from which MailTruk merely extracts them.
>Furthermore, the packet protocol does a checksum on the data packet and
>requests retransmission of bad packets.  So my question is what makes
>you think the problem is character dropping????
>
>--
>- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
>- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

I dumped the incoming data lines to a file and examined them.

On the workline request (always!) the control byte seemed to be missing.
MT loops forever looking for a valid packet.

The system I'm connecting to is an HP9000/825 HP-UX 2.1.  This host moves
about 3 MB of news a day over a Telebit T2500 plus makes other UUCP connections
so I'm sure that the host end works properly :-)

--

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (03/30/90)

wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:
>On the workline request (always!) the control byte seemed to be missing.

I don't know why the control byte is missing, but I am pretty sure it is
not a speed issue.  As I say, the TOS buffers incoming characters.
MailTruk merely uses a bigger buffer.  There should be more than
enough buffer room for control messages and packets.

One thing you might want to check is to make sure MailTruk and your
modem are NOT flow controlling!   XOFF-XON should be disabled in both
your modem and MailTruk (about line #20 in MailTruk, 3rd xbios parameter
should be zero.)

Control bytes often look like xoff/xon characters, thus screwing everything
up as they are stripped off the message!