[comp.sys.atari.st] X

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (03/19/88)

In article <2940@slovax.UUCP>, dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) writes:
> I don't think
> OS-9 or Minix can support X, you need BSD sockets.

OS-9/68000 got sockets so it could do Ethernet stuff, so *that* shouldn't be a
problem any more.

		James Jones

[This posting dusted with lemon-freshened DISCLAIMO to free it of any opinion
of any organization save a bunch of cells that go under the name of James
Jones.]

avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE) (03/21/88)

In article <615@mcrware.UUCP>, jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
> In article <2940@slovax.UUCP>, dale@slovax.UUCP (Dale L. Thomas) writes:
> > I don't think
> > OS-9 or Minix can support X, you need BSD sockets.
>
> OS-9/68000 got sockets so it could do Ethernet stuff, so *that* shouldn't be a
> problem any more.
>
> 		James Jones

Does it imply that OS-9/68000 now supports X-Windows ?
If so, does OS-9/68000 support VDI ?
If so, can we port GEM applications (or VDI based applications) to OS-9/68000 ?

If the answer to any of the above questions is YES, how does a poor
OS-9/68000 user like me acquire X-Windows, VDI and GEM for OS-9/68000 ?

	 Avygdor Moise
--
Avygdor Moise, York University. (C.R.E.S.S.),  Petrie Bldg. Rm 340,
               4700 Keele St., North York, Ontario, Canada. M3J 1P3

koreth@panarthea.EBay.Sun.COM (Steven Grimm) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar20.233950.3630@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:
>BTW, I REALLY LIKE the idea of merging something like Gemini with RTX or
>some similar multi-tasking system.  Sigh, just think if we could have
>X11R4 ...

Well, to run an X server (which, in X parlance, is the program that accepts
commands for drawing windows and putting stuff in them, but doesn't actually
determine what goes into them,) all you have to do is implement TCP/IP on
the ST.  That's already been done, in the KA9Q package.  Then find a copy
of the X protocol document and have at it.  I'm pretty sure that a reasonable
server implementation could be done on the ST.

The problem, though, is that you'd need a much faster network connection
than the serial port's 19.2Kbaud.  X is not really concerned with conserving
network bandwidth, so your X clients would display very slowly on the ST.
If you have an Ethernet box hooked up to your DMA port, you'd probably be
okay.

To run X clients (xtank, xterm, xsol, etc.) on the ST, you would of course
need a multitasking system.  Not only that, but it'd have to be pretty
close to UNIX-compatible, or you'd spend the rest of your life porting
all the libraries and so forth.  The obvious candidate is Minix.  I'm not
convinced that 4 megabytes is enough memory for all this, though -- X
is not small.

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ebay.sun.com	...!sun!ebay!koreth

l86@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Hugo Burm) (03/30/90)

Expires:
I have seen it at Cebit. They also ported TCP-IP software.
Price of the board will be 1000 DM.
A German company ported the X-server (only the server). They sold it
to Atari. Price not yet known.