[comp.sys.atari.st] Portfolio

OHICEH89@IRLEARN.BITNET (Sean Hickey) (09/21/89)

In digest # 410 Richard E. Covert writes
>    In the same interview ST said that the Stacy and the Portfolio would
>be available by the end of June. But, good old Sam didn't say which June !!
>And as this is the end of August already, Sam must have meant that they would
>be out by 1990 or maybe 1991.

    I don't know about the situation in the US but both machines are on sale
in Europe. The Portfolio has been on sale in my local computer store in Dublin
for weeks. The Stacy was launched on the continent some time ago and is now
starting to appear in shops in the UK. So maybe they're getting their act
together.
        Padraig.
Acknowledge-To: <OHICEH89@IRLEARN>

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (09/25/89)

In article <8909211611.AA28340@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, OHICEH89@IRLEARN.BITNET (Sean Hickey) writes:
> In digest # 410 Richard E. Covert writes
> >    In the same interview ST said that the Stacy and the Portfolio would
> >be available by the end of June. But, good old Sam didn't say which June !!
> >And as this is the end of August already, Sam must have meant that they would
> >be out by 1990 or maybe 1991.

Well, I *MAY* have been wrong about the Portfolio. I have been told by several
Atari dealers that they are getting 12 Portfolios per dealer this month.
So, maybe the drought of new Atari products is about to end!!

I can't decide wiether to upgrade my Mega ST4 to 16 MHz or to buy the
Portfolio!! Maybe I will do both!!

Richard (Surprised is all!! ) Covert

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (09/26/89)

In article <45d9f2c5.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
> Well, I *MAY* have been wrong about the Portfolio. I have been told by several
> Atari dealers that they are getting 12 Portfolios per dealer this month.
> So, maybe the drought of new Atari products is about to end!!

Same here.  The dealer in this area told me that he'd be getting 12 Portfolios.
He didn't say *when*, though.  When, exactly, can we expect them to arrive?
I don't want to keep trekking over to the dealer only to find they haven't
arrived yet!

On a different note:  If you really squeeze your fingers together, can you
do "10 finger typing" on the Portfolio?  If yes, I will probably get one.  If
not, I probably won't...
If you can't do the above, I think it would be a shame.  I wouldn't think that
much more space/resources would be needed to have a "usable" QWERTY keyboard.
In fact, I'd rather have a $499 Portfolio with usable keyboard than a $399
Portfolio that can only be used with two fingers.  Does anybody have similar
feelings?

Tom

--
+---------------+-----------------------------+  I don't remember,
| Tom Wolf      | Phone:  (201) 949-2079      |  I don't recall,
| Bell Labs, NJ | E-mail: twolf@homxb.att.com |  I have no memory,
+---------------+-----------------------------+  Of anything at all. P. Gabriel

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (09/28/89)

Unless Atari is inane, lay all comments about the availablility of
Porfolio to rest.  Today in the New York Times (and many other major
papers I'm told) were FULL page ads in the Business sections showing
the Portfolio and announcing Federal Express shipping and a 'if you
don't like it in a month, send it back for a full refund' policy.

Looks like Portfolio is here guys (and women.)

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

mccarty@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James E. McCarty) (09/29/89)

Could someone please post information about the ad that Atari
ran in major newspapers???  Phone numbers and prices please.
Thanks,
Jim McCarty

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (09/29/89)

Today's USA Today has the full-page Portfolio ad on 11A:

                  Actual Size
             (picture of Portfolio)
                  Actual Price
                    $399.95

It goes on to describe the system, the RAM cards ($79.95 for 32K) and
other accessories, including the $49.95 parallel and $79.95 serial
interfaces that aren't available until October. There's a 30-day free
trial. The toll-free (USA, I presume) number is (800) 443-8020. They'll
charge your credit card for the merchandise plus $8.50 for shipping
(Federal Express).

Judging from the "Actual Size" photograph, this definitely is a machine
for two-fingered typing. The keyboard makes the Trash-80 look generous.

      Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (Usenet)
  ... {playgrnd,moundst,class68}!thelake!steve       (Citadel)

dscheidt@van-bc.UUCP (Daniel Scheidt) (10/02/89)

  I was able to buy one here in Vancouver last Friday ($550 Canadian -
so much for Free Trade).  I got one of two left after the salespeople
grabbed them all up.  So far it's great.  It conforms to the article
in the October STart, except it's not MS-DOS it's DIP-DOS which appears
to be much the same thing.  I thought I would be the last person to buy
an MS-DOS compatible machine, but fortunately ram-disk based .BAT files
work almost like an alias file - I have ls, rm, cp, pwd, etc. now so I
feel more at home.
  Yes, the keyboard is small (as is the whole machine - fits in the breast
pocket of a suit jacket) but it is just fine for my 4 fingers+thumb style
of typing.  The space bar seems low due to a ridge around the edge of the
keyboard, but I can live with that.
  The good part is the ROM-based applications - they provide a completely
integrated environment with text editor, calculator, spreadsheet, database
and appointment calendar.  The user interface includes windows, menues,
and single-stroke command keys - all on an 40x8 screen.  It's really quite
remarkable for such a tiny machine.
  And, if you can believe it, ATARI actually provides a complete and
comprehensive manual (249 pages).
  So... why did I buy it?  Now I can finally get my address book "on-line"
where I can back it up - no more fear of loosing that precious little black
book.  And now I have a calender and appointment book that doesn't end
at the end of December (at least not until December 2049).  These may seem
like trivial reasons (I still working on convincing my wife that they are
not), but I expect I will use this little box every day for the next few
years at least.
  And it really does come with batteries included...

Daniel Scheidt                                      Computed Music Systems
  djs@scheidt.wimsey.bc.ca                          Vancouver, BC, Canada
  ...uunet!van-bc!scheidt!djs

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (10/23/89)

In article <2161@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>1) The Porfolio. Shipping in the US.

And in Europe. I saw it some weeks ago in a computer shop here
in Dortmund (West-Germany) for DM 798,-.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (04/07/90)

Has anyone used the Portfolio for any useful work?
Care to elaborate?
How do you transfer data from the Portfolio your PC. IBM ST?
Are you happy?

Thanks for any response?

Jim Woomer