[comp.sys.atari.st] Let's hear more about Toronto, Please!

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (04/08/90)

In article <9004060702.AA02226@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV writes:

>The Posting on the Toronto Convention by Brandon Brooks was fine as far as
>it went, but it would be nice to know more.
>
>1.) How many people came?

	I don't know for sure.  It seemed to be less crowded than in November
of 1988, but still, there were a few people.  Roughly 2000 by my estimate.  I
heard a number of 5000 for November '88, but I don't claim these numbers as
accurate.

>2.) Were the 5 guys from Atari all from Atari Canada?

	Denise Carrol, Marketing Coordinator
	Howard Rotenberg, Product Support Manager
	Geoff Earle, General Manager
	Penny Maschio, Sales Administrator
	Randy Tjin, Operations Manager
	Mohamed Dossani, Financial Controller

	I didn't talk to Bob Brodie, but he was there too.

	There were also some people from a marketing agency that Atari had
hired, but I didn't meet them either.

>3.) What about some of the seminar topics?  The preliminary announcement
>     included one on a hypertext product, which I am keenly interested in.

12:00 - 1:00	Meet Atari
1:00	STOS game creation on the ST by Dave Thomas
	Hyperlink - Hypertext product from JMG Software
1:30	Quick ST II Branch Always Software
	Stalker-Steno by Eric Rosenquist
2:00	Pushing the Atari 8 Bit to the limit
	Video Text-Video-titling Water Fountain Software
2:30	Neodesk 2.0 - The Desktop Alternative - Gribnif Soft
	The Atari Macintosh ... Spectre GCR
3:00	Neodesk continues
	Atari ST Basics ... Tips and Tricks
3:30	Intrinsic Software - Dave Lewis
	The XEGS vs Nintendo !!!
4:00	Music and the ST
	Turbo 8-16 by Dataque
4:30	PC Emulation on the ST
	New Text Editor for the ST Micro D Distributors

	I've talked to the people who are doing Hyperlink and there has been
a delay.  And I know this is a bona fida reason for the delay - I live in the
city and I see their store often.  A pipe burst and they ended up with a
major flood which cost them a good 2 weeks.  Too bad they couldn't have had
a demo, but oh well, that's life.

>4.) How many vendors were there?  Who were they?

	Simple Software			Computer Software & Supply
	ASDE Software Inc. "PAID"	Compustore
	STOS Canada			Unicorn Publications
	JMG Compushoppe			Branch Always Software
	Canada Remote Systems		SaveTech
	Smart Screens			Compuplace Inc
	Water Fountain Software		Nice& Software Inc
	Compuworld			Riteway Computers
	Intrinsic Software		Strata Software
	Whats This? Inc			Simcoe Computer Centre
	Micro D Distributing		Saved by Technology
	Advantage Computers		Gribnif Software
	D.A. Brumleve			Atari Canada
					ISD Marketing

	That is the list of exhibitors.  But I think one or two of the
small ones have been overlooked.  There is one I was at that I cannot find
on the floor map.

>5.) Were there any third-party hardware products of particular interest?

	JRI had their Genlock hardware which I had never seen before.  I
saw the (I think Supercharger) IBM emulator hooked up to a Stacey.  That was
kind of neat.  A NEC 5D monitor at the Atari booth.  Looked kinda sharp.
A big plotter at the Atari/ISD booth.  CD-ROMS; but those aren't 3rd party.

>It would be nice to have a post with just the facts, please. No need
>for an analysis of Atari's market and advertising strategies.  These
>topics get more than enough bandwidth already.

	I took note of what was said about the TT.  Price was not disclosed.
The TT (according the Geoff Earle) is scheduled for pre-production for
developers in June.  Full production in the Fall.  He said it was a
fantastic product, but long overdue.  He said there was no '030 supply
problem at all.

	Any more questions?  Just ask.
P.S. Much of this info (seminars, exhibitors) is from the promotional
pamphlet that all the stores seemed to have before the show.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca