[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari UK launches developer support programme!

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (04/06/90)

I've just been sent the first edition of Atari UK's new newsletter for
developers.  It announces their new ProSupport programme.  The tone of
the announcement is appropriately self-deprecating.  An example:

"For those of you reeling from the shock of seeing Atari doing something
positive for the developers, there will be a short pause in this the
first Atari ProSupport newsletter, while you recover your composure..."

What it all boils down to is that Atari UK have appointed a co-ordinator
(Alistair Bodin) to pass on information to developers and answer their
queries.  Atari will run several conferences on CIX (the UK equivalent
of BIX in the USA) and developers can also get in touch by fax,
snailmail and telephone.

Developers have to reregister (at no cost) for the programme, and show
that they're really producing commercial products for Atari machines
(any machine, from the transputer workstation to the Lynx - no separate
companies here).

If you want to join, you have to sign a severe confidentiality
agreement.  As with all such agreements, most of the wording is taken up
with the obligations of the developers not to reveal anything said to
them.  It includes the provision that 'neither party shall publicly
announce or disclose the existence of this agreement..', which I find a
bit bizarre.  The newsletter admits there is a problem about knowing
what should be secret, but 'information that seems widely circulated may
still be sensitive.  Therefore you must assume everything is secret.'

There's lots more about the need for confidentiality, and the dreadful
consequences of breaking it, but I don't want to overemphasize this at
the expense of the good news about the programme.  I hope it becomes a
success, and that a better relationship develops between Atari and the
UK software-writing community.  My only worry is the same one that was
aired about the equivalent programme in the USA: the emphasis on people
and companies which develop programmes for commercial distribution.  I
hope it doesn't exclude people who prefer to distribute their programs
via shareware or even not charge for them at all.  The focus should be
on the software, not the distribution method.

Let's hope it works out.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/08/90)

In article <2468@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
> them.  It includes the provision that 'neither party shall publicly
> announce or disclose the existence of this agreement..', which I find a
> bit bizarre.  The newsletter admits there is a problem about knowing

But it managed to get posted to comp.sys.atari.st ....hmm.

        ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu    ncastellano@wesleyan.bitnet
	       dEADHEAd%sinkhole.citadel@moundst.mn.org