[comp.sys.atari.st] Monitor weirdness

mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) (04/07/90)

warningm@prism.cs.orst.edu (MICHAEL WARNING) writes:

>My mono(SM124) monitor decided to flip out on me today.  It will jerk the
>screen back and forth horizontally for several minutes, and then shift the
>entire screen to the left.  If you drag a icon or window to the extreme left,
>it will come up reversed as if the left side of the screen had been folded
>on top of the rest of the screen.  All this will start to happen after the
>monitor has been on for several minutes, and you have to turn it off for a
>minute or so to get it back to normal.

>Is this some common, easy to fix problem, or do I have to get it serviced?
>(It's only about two months old...)
I can't speak for the 124 specifically, but in general, something has happened to your horizontal sync. From your description, it sounds temperature-sensitive. I suspect a bad solder joint, perhaps at the flyback or horizontal-output-transistor (or in those area(s)). Good luck.

EOF

rich@lakesys.lakesys.com (Richard Dankert) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr7.130538.19224@rbdc> mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) writes:
>warningm@prism.cs.orst.edu (MICHAEL WARNING) writes:
>
>>My mono(SM124) monitor decided to flip out on me today.  It will jerk the
>>screen back and forth horizontally for several minutes, and then shift the
>>entire screen to the left.  If you drag a icon or window to the extreme left,
>>it will come up reversed as if the left side of the screen had been folded
>>on top of the rest of the screen.  All this will start to happen after the
>>monitor has been on for several minutes, and you have to turn it off for a
>>minute or so to get it back to normal.

	The Exact thing happened to me, and it WAS NOT THE MONITOR!

The problem really showed up whenever I tried t use a Re-set Proof RamDisk, OR
Shadow (ver 1.1)

Well I opened the macine up, thinkng that I was having problems with
my new Z-Ram 3-D/4 Meg upgrade, I installed recently. Well to make a long
story short, it was a pin connection on the GLUE chip that caused all the
trouble. All I did was to re-move the chip, clean all the contacts, and
then replace the chip. Bingo..... Problem solved.

As an aside, I also did the same to the MMU socket connections.

Havn't had a problem since.....

#include (std. disclaimer>
If you are unsure of your ability to do this, then DON'T. Get a professional
to do it for you.

rich.....
UUCP: rich@lakesys.lakesys.COM     {always .... }