[comp.sys.atari.st] NeoDesk problem

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr6.204104.14336@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, coffey@ucselx.sdsu.edu (pat coffey) writes:
> I have been using Neodesk for about a year now and lately it has been
> acting strangly.  When I am looking for a file, and the file window
> says that the mask is '*.*', some of the files don't show up.
>
> For example, I created a file in first word.  When using the file
> selector in first word, the file is there.  When I exit from first
> word and look at the directory, it is not there.  If I then drop
> out of neodesk, the file shows up again.  Has anyone else experienced
> this?  Does anyone have any idea of what is causing it?  I really
> like Neodesk and would like to continue to use it.
> --
>      _   _        Ms. Pat Coffey
>     |_) (_        San Diego State University
>     |             coffey@ucselx.sdsu.edu
You might try looking at how many files are in the subdirectory where files are
disappearing.  One of the options you can set is for maximum number of files
per directory.  You can set it to a higher number (But it takes more memory
then).  If it isn't displaying all of the files because of the limit placed on
the subdirectory, it should put a message up where it usually says x files in y
bytes, saying that not all of the files are shown.

Solutions?  Sort by date, that way the files you have worked on most recently
will show up first.  Or mask by *.doc, or delete all of the *.bak files, which
in most cases will cut the number of files in half in a folder that contains
nothing but first word documents.

You could also consider setting up more subdirectories for these files.
Categorize all of your documents and split them among multiple directories.

Hope this helps!
--
	       ____
                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead