[comp.sys.atari.st] MONOCHROME MONITOR BLUES ADVICE

Z4636947@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4636947) (04/07/90)

There have been many letters offering advice about the monochrome
monitor problems that I have had.  No solution, yet for me but I thought
that I would provide a capture, sans names, of a few of the letters:
=======
I use a Thomson Ultrascan (same as the Mitsubishi Diamond Scan) as both color
and mono.  The way to make it sharp enough in mono is to use only the green
gun in mono.  At least, that works for me.  Probably means wiring around
something in the connector box (mine is homebrew).
=======
Please summarize the replies you get regarding locations for
repair spots and parts for monochrome monitors.
My beloved sm124 monitor is slowly dying (at the moment the white blocks
occasionally get hollow so I can only see the outlines, and I have to give it
a good WHACK on the top of it before it goes back to normal,
but i don't know how much longer I can do this!).
=======
Ask a dealer about monochrome multisyncs.  They are what they sound like.
They act like multisyncs but have a sharp mono screen.  The plus side
is that they can also act like color monitors, but without the color.
=======
Best Electronics carries all sorts of obscure Atari parts. Call them
and see if they have a flyback transformer.

In answer to these, Best doesn't have the particular flyback that is
on my monitor.  The monochrome multisyncs seem to be the way to go
and can work as a monochromed color monitor in a tight spot.  Also, they
are only about $50.00 more than the Atari monitor and have a larger
screen.  I hope to be solving my problem this weekend.

I am sure grateful that the ST is able to go multisync so easily and
cheaply!  I looked at the cable diagram and it is simple to configure.
I foresee no problems.  Many thanks for those offering to help.

Gerald Rogers <Z4636947@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/11/90)

In article <900406.23363577.022791@SFA.CP6>, Z4636947@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4636947) writes:

> The monochrome multisyncs seem to be the way to go
>and can work as a monochromed color monitor in a tight spot.  Also, they
>are only about $50.00 more than the Atari monitor and have a larger
>screen.  I hope to be solving my problem this weekend.
>
>I am sure grateful that the ST is able to go multisync so easily and
>cheaply!  I looked at the cable diagram and it is simple to configure.
>I foresee no problems.  Many thanks for those offering to help.
>
>Gerald Rogers <Z4636947@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Could you please send me some mail indicating success on your mono search?  I
crave mono capability, but I don't want to buy a disposable Atari one (anyone
know if the new ones out RSN are any better?).  My real interest it buying a
color multisync, but since I have a color monitor already a mono multi might
be the way to go.  Also, the cable diagram you mentioned, if in mailable form
would be really nice.  Thanks!!

              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
          FSU Computer Science       |      Even I have trouble doing it."
        Technical Support Group      |
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead