[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectrum picture posting:A call to arms!

WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET (04/08/90)

OK, I am sure to make some people happy and to forever piss others off.
In that vain, i was wondering if people would like me to post some
spectrum pictures here. Most of you fall into two groups:
1: Don't put that junk here, put it on a a bianaries group of FFT or
   something.
Reply #1: Grimm doesn't want them, some people dont have FFT site
          access. (One of which it me.) How else do i propagate them?
2: Sure, lets have them.
Reply #2: OK, but i'm not going to put more than a few at a time so you
          will have to be watching the group so that none slip by you.

So, it seem i have everything worked out. Not really, I'm pretty sure
that a_slide.prg, the progrm i use to display them which was put out PD.
I just want to confirm it. (A_slide uses a handy dandy .sps extension
the means Smoosh, or 40% smaller than .SPC) So, what i need from you guys
is 1) a reason not to post that acualy is a good reason, or 2)A confirm
of A_slides PD status because i'm not going to reconvert my Spectum pics
to a more bulky format.

I'll decide in one week who wins.

Stuart Carter              |  To the Gods at University Of Florida,
University OF Louisville   |  Dear sirs,
Physics Dept.              |
soon to be...              |  Please give me a teaching position.
Stuart Carter              |
University of Florida      |                               Truely,
Astro Dept                 |                             Stuart Carter

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/09/90)

[In article <9004081735.AA08871@jade.berkeley.edu>,
     WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes ... ]

> OK, I am sure to make some people happy and to forever piss others off.
> In that vain, i was wondering if people would like me to post some
> spectrum pictures here. Most of you fall into two groups:
> 1: Don't put that junk here, put it on a a bianaries group of FFT or
>    something.
> Reply #1: Grimm doesn't want them, some people dont have FFT site
>           access. (One of which it me.) How else do i propagate them?

You apparently have FFT and FTP confused.

> 2: Sure, lets have them.
> Reply #2: OK, but i'm not going to put more than a few at a time so you
>           will have to be watching the group so that none slip by you.

Whoa!

Dumping digitized pictures into ANY of the comp.sys.* newsgroups is way
out of line. They're for discussions, not for large quantities of
binaries, source code, or pictures.

If you think there's demand for digitized graphics, fine -- go through the
same process everybody else has to go through.

Start off with a mailing list. Advertise its existence. Accept the
responsibility for maintaining it.

Once it has grown to a level that demonstrates a high level of interest in
the data, propose adding a Usenet newsgroup devoted to it. Go through the
standard process of announcing the proposal, soliciting comment, calling
for votes, collecting, counting and posting the votes. And live by the
outcome.

Yeah, it's a lot of work. So is moving the data around. Until you invest
your time and your effort in meeting the established requirements for
newsgroup creation, don't ask other people to pay the bill for shipping
digitized images around the world.

> So, what i need from you guys
> is 1) a reason not to post that acualy is a good reason,

Digitized images are not within the charter of comp.sys.atari.st. That is
reason enough. If you don't find that persuasive, look into your wallet
and consider whether you're willing to pay to have the data delivered to
those sites that receive Usenet news through long-distance telephone
connections.

> or 2)A confirm
> of A_slides PD status because i'm not going to reconvert my Spectum pics
> to a more bulky format.

I have no opinion on that question.

> I'll decide in one week who wins.

You don't have the right to make that decision.

The process whereby such decisions are made is well-documented in articles
that are posted periodically to news.announce.newusers and other groups in
the news hierarchy. You should read those articles before posting any
digitized images.

I'm not against the distribution of the images. If the load is held to a
reasonable level, I might even consider carrying them here. But what you
are suggesting is not the way to do it.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (04/11/90)

In article <9004081735.AA08871@jade.berkeley.edu> WSCART01@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:

>OK, I am sure to make some people happy and to forever piss others off.
>In that vain, i was wondering if people would like me to post some
>spectrum pictures here. Most of you fall into two groups:

I'd like the pictures, but I don't want non-text postings in this newsgroup.
The standard way to handle this kind of thing is to make a mailing list...
I'm not exactly sure, but I think that just means setting up a mail alias
and sending the stuff to the alias.  Or you might set up a group in the alt
hierarchy: alt.pictures.spectrum, perhaps.  Of course, even some people who
wanted them might find an alt group hard to get.
                                Steve J.