[comp.sys.atari.st] Gribnif: what does it MEAN?

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/08/90)

In article <3132@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>In article <3143@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>>
>>   I got a newsletter from Gribnif software detailing their new products
>
>I have a feeling I have heard this word somewhere before, perhaps
>in a TV show.  Does anybody know the meaning of the word?

I thought that the company was run by a guy named Finbirg (an alternate
transliteration from Yiddish compared to the more common Germanic Feinberg).
Does anyone know for sure?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (04/08/90)

In article <3132@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>In article <3143@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>>
>>Hi,
>>   I got a newsletter from Gribnif software detailing their new products
>>and changes to NeoDesk. I'd like to ask them some questions about these
>>products, esp. the Neodesk CLI but although I've been searching, I can't
>>seem to find any email address for either Gribnif or Dan Wilga himself.
>
>I have a feeling I have heard this word somewhere before, perhaps
>in a TV show.  Does anybody know the meaning of the word?

	You're absolutely right.  My bubugged the girl that works the
Gribnif booth in '88 about the meaning in Gribnif, and never got an
answer.  Undaunted, he tried again this year, and still got nowhere.
Excepth that the girl told him to watch M*A*S*H to find out.  We were
told that this was classified information, and that only 1 person at 1
show came up and knew what Gribnif means.  I wonder if it's important.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (04/08/90)

In article <261E6C25.10489@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
>	You're absolutely right.  My bubugged the girl that works the
>Gribnif booth in '88 about the meaning in Gribnif, and never got an
>answer.  Undaunted, he tried again this year, and still got nowhere.
>Excepth that the girl told him to watch M*A*S*H to find out.  We were
>told that this was classified information, and that only 1 person at 1
>show came up and knew what Gribnif means.  I wonder if it's important.

I happen to know that guy [Richard] you are talking about - and I believe it
was the show in Detroit last summer... Gribnif is actually a character in some
fantasy novel, but when Richard told me what it meant, I filed it away in my
head under 'useless knowledge which won't come up again' and promptly
forgot it. A little note of aside: Dan Wilga was at the booth, and asked
Richard what it meant - apparently HE didn't know, and when he found
out, he was so grateful that he gave Richard a free copy of Neodesk!!!

--
|S. Alan Ezust                                |  depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca|
|McGill University School of Computer Science |  Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (04/11/90)

In article <261E6C25.10489@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
>In article <3132@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>>In article <3143@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>>I have a feeling I have heard this word somewhere before, perhaps
>>in a TV show.  Does anybody know the meaning of the word?
>
>	You're absolutely right.  My bubugged the girl that works the
>Gribnif booth in '88 about the meaning in Gribnif, and never got an
>answer.  Undaunted, he tried again this year, and still got nowhere.

Are you talking about standard Gribnif or Royal Gribnif ?

There are significant differences, you know.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Not everything worth doing is worth doing well."