[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Japan

mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) (04/09/90)

I had read in comp.sci.japan that Commodore Japan closed it's
doors, and it got me to thinking, how is Atari Japan doing? I have
seen an article about the Atari Lynx in a Japanese magazine, but
that's all I have seen about Atari in Japan.

The question, is there a Japanese OS for Japanese STs (if they
exist there)? For example, there is KanjiTalk for Apple Macintosh.
and a Japanese OS for IBM machines, and I'd be interested if there
was one for the ST, without having to do it through emulation.

By the way, does anyone know of any comments about the name Atari
in Japan? It was chosen from a move in the game Go, but atari
(lower case) has a few other meanings in Japanese, also.

--
                             Mark Newton-John
   (ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA

In article <2856@sactoh0.UUCP> mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) writes:
>I had read in comp.sci.japan that Commodore Japan closed it's
>doors, and it got me to thinking, how is Atari Japan doing? I have
>seen an article about the Atari Lynx in a Japanese magazine, but
>that's all I have seen about Atari in Japan.

Commodore Japan is still in existence, though they did down-size a few
years back.  Commodore hasn't marketed computers in Japan; the Japanese
office was used for purchasing and production engineering up until around
the time the C128 and Amiga 1000 were introduced.  Most of the production
engineering for Commodore is now done in the US and Germany.  The office
in Japan is now used for purchasing.  The reasoning for this is obvious:
doing any kind of business in Japan these days is just plain expensive.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough