[comp.sys.atari.st] Anaheim World of Atari Tidbits

jjung@koh-sun3.usc.edu (John Jung) (04/12/90)

In article <4740@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>And to anybody who went to WOA, did Atari demo Gauntlet III for the Lynx??

  No they didn't. The scuttlebutt I heard from some Atari people was that the
labels were on backwards, or something like that. (I also heard a rumor that
some of the chips were also on backwards, but I haven't heard any confirmation
on it.) I was dying to get a copy myself, and was bummed the entire show...

>If there's any other news about WOA, please share it with us here on the
>net.

  There's not really a lot to say about the WoA show because it didn't seem
like they had a lot of new and ready stuff to show off. Or maybe there were
more people selling stuff than people making stuff. At any rate here's a brief
run-down on what I remember from the show :

Atari :
  The STacey, STe, and TT were all there and running smoothly. I don't think
any of them crashed.

  The STacey was having things changed on the inside so that they could get a
better FCC class approval. The screen was sometimes hard to see if you were
looking at it the wrong angle, but I suspect that it was because of the LCD
screen. The mouse control took a little getting used to since the track ball
was in the palm of the hand, but it was quite useable.

  The TT is expected to start shipping at the end of the year, and developers
should get them starting at the middle of the year. The keyboard feel was very
similar to the Megas. (Which I like a lot.) THey don't know what software (if
any) will be bundled with it, because it was at too early a stage.

  I didn't ask about the STe, but I presume it's waiting for FCC approval. I
missed the STe on the first pass through the Atari booth because its case
looked just like the 1040STs.

  The Atari CD Rom was also there, but it was getting little attention. (I
think it works; I overheard one of the Atari guys say that one of the programs
on the hard disk would make the ST recognize CR Rom.)

DC Software :
  They were there demoing and selling copies of DC Desktop. I wasn't too
interested in DC Desktop, so I didn't pay much attention to it. I think they
were selling it for $20. (Sorry, I don't care for _any_ of the alternative
Desktops...)

Gadgets by Small :
  They were showing off the Spectre GCR and how well it worked with the STacey.
I had heard previous rumors that the STacey and GCR were incompatible with
each other; I guess they fixed it.

  GbS was also showing their 68030 accelerator board and it was four times
faster than a regular ST (IMHO). GbS didn't give any official release date, but
Dave did say that he had talked to some other vendors at the show and they
wanted to support thing. GbS did say that if the thing is to be released, the
520's and 1040's would need a new case to make room for the board, but the Mega
series would be unaffected.

  In the GbS talk, Dave said that he had just recently heard about a program
called Ultrascript GCR, which allows the GCR to be able to print in 300 dpi
with a laser printer. (I think he said the SLM 804.)

Megamax :
  I was more interested in what they planned on improving with Laser C anything
else in their booth. (So I didn't pay much attention to their paint [I think it
was a paint] program.) Megamax did say that they were working on a fully ANSI
compatible version of Laser C. They expect it to be ready by the middle of the
year, and upgrade cost (though it was only a rough guess) would be $50.

  Like I said, there wasn't a lot of new stuff, although I might have missed
some things because I wasn't interested in it. (And I only went on the first
day, so more stuff might have gotten in after I left.)

  It was nice to be able to talk to the people behind the account names, like
meeting John Townsend, Ken Bartedscher (yeah I probably misspelt it), Dave
Small, Michael Venderman, and David Berkenmeyer (another name I probably
misspelt  :-).

						John

P.S. Dave Small did wonder, at the GbS talk, which one ran faster : The TT or
the 68030 accelerator board. Too bad I never found out which. (grin)