[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 official ???

felner@inf.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) (04/11/90)

OK, I just had a chat with my dealer here in Switzerland about TOS 1.4.
He said there is *no* official TOS 1.4 yet. The current 1.4s are all
beta versions. The current 1.4 is the same as 1.6 without the STE
specific stuff. The official and final 1.4 (or whatever) will be due
this fall when the TT will be available. It will contain code for full
support for a real SCSI interface (-> TT) and also all the STE specific
code, i.e it seems to be exactly the same chipset for all three machines.
Also, all the currently known bugs will be fixed (like all the stuff
that is taken care of by poolfix, tos14fix, etc).

He got all this information from Atari Switzerland.

He also mentioned that the final upgrade kit for 1.4 will not only
contain the ROMs but also a new keyboard chip (the 6301) and new keys
for the keyboard (at least here in Switzerland). I didn't quite
understand why ...

Anyone has any comments on this? Atari??

Confused, Tomas

BTW, my dealer is the biggest Atari dealer in Switzerland, so I
assume he has the latest and correct information.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/13/90)

felner@inf.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) writes:

> He said there is *no* official TOS 1.4 yet.

Wrong.

> The current 1.4 is the same as 1.6 without the STE specific stuff.

Right. It's more accurate to say "TOS 1.6 is the same as TOS 1.4, plus
the STE specific stuff."

> it seems to be exactly the same chipset for all three machines.

Wrong.  For starters the ROMs have different base addresses and
different organization on the data bus.

> He got all this information from Atari Switzerland.

Amazing if true.

> I assume he has the latest and correct information.

Bad assumption.

Any more questions?

rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) (04/14/90)

Moin,

felner@inf.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) writes:

>OK, I just had a chat with my dealer here in Switzerland about TOS 1.4.
>He said there is *no* official TOS 1.4 yet. The current 1.4s are all
>beta versions. The current 1.4 is the same as 1.6 without the STE
>specific stuff. The official and final 1.4 (or whatever) will be due
>this fall when the TT will be available. It will contain code for full
>support for a real SCSI interface (-> TT) and also all the STE specific
>code, i.e it seems to be exactly the same chipset for all three machines.

 i have to see that to believe it ....

 I think this is another story / tale of the Atari 1.4 Story.
Hopefully this information is true !!!!

 in advance
 mfG Waldi

*  Dirk Rode                   *   UUCP: ...!unido!uniol!rode          *
*  Zwischenahner Str. 64       *   Bitnet:   077481@Doluni1.Bitnet     *
*  2910 Howiek                 *   Nickname: Waldi                     *
*  Arbeitsgruppe Rechnerbetrieb Informatik der                         *
*  Universitaet Oldenburg (FB 10 - ARBI)                               *