[comp.sys.atari.st] Proposed change to names of sources/binaries postings

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (04/12/90)

Someone has suggested that since software to automatically save news articles
using the filename in the "Archive-name" pseudo-header line, I should stop
calling the articles program/part01, program/part02, etc. and start calling
them program/program.uaa, program/program.uab, and so on.  This would enable
Dumas uud to pick up the parts effortlessly.

Personally, I'd like to see Dumas uud hacked to take multiple filenames
on the command line instead, but it's no problem for me to use the proposed
filenames if people prefer that.

Comments?

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ebay.sun.com	...!sun!ebay!koreth

dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) (04/13/90)

--

I personally don't see the need to change the names. I just use the
UU-Rename File located at panarthea.  Its very fast and small.

| Franklin E. Rachel                 | Internet: Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.Edu |
-------------------------------------| St Supporter For 4 Years |
                                     ----------------------------

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (04/13/90)

In article <1588@male.EBay.Sun.COM> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>Someone has suggested that since software to automatically save news articles
>using the filename in the "Archive-name" pseudo-header line, I should stop
>calling the articles program/part01, program/part02, etc. and start calling
>them program/program.uaa, program/program.uab, and so on.  This would enable
>Dumas uud to pick up the parts effortlessly.
>
>Personally, I'd like to see Dumas uud hacked to take multiple filenames
>on the command line instead, but it's no problem for me to use the proposed
>filenames if people prefer that.

I'm better with numbers:- One point that should be remembered in
this context is that here in Europe we usually get the parts in
different order than what they are meant to be so when numbers are
in sight I can better go Next and Previous to cellect the parts
in right order.

--
		Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@funic.funet.fi)
		       University of Vaasa, Finland

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr12.195502.7357@uwasa.fi>, hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
> In article <1588@male.EBay.Sun.COM> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
> >Someone has suggested that since software to automatically save news articles
> >using the filename in the "Archive-name" pseudo-header line, I should stop
> >calling the articles program/part01, program/part02, etc. and start calling
> >them program/program.uaa, program/program.uab, and so on.  This would enable
> >Dumas uud to pick up the parts effortlessly.

Please keep the numbers.  Arabic numerals are one of the few universal
pleasures in the world.  Language may screw up a,b,c but not 1,2,3.

Also, using uud, just append the files all together and apply uud.
No fuss, no muss.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

In article <1588@male.EBay.Sun.COM> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>Someone has suggested that since software to automatically save news articles
>using the filename in the "Archive-name" pseudo-header line, I should stop
>calling the articles program/part01, program/part02, etc. and start calling
>them program/program.uaa, program/program.uab, and so on.  This would enable
>Dumas uud to pick up the parts effortlessly.
>
>Personally, I'd like to see Dumas uud hacked to take multiple filenames
>on the command line instead, but it's no problem for me to use the proposed
>filenames if people prefer that.
>
>Comments?

No changes to the Dumas uud program are necessary. The program is pretty
smart, it does a two-part search for the continuation files already. First
it looks for the named file, e.g. program.uab, but if that file doesn't
exist it merely continues to read its current input file. So, to decode a
multipart posting, merely
	cat part* | uud
and you get the output file, no muss & no fuss.

I noticed this by reading thru the code posted in comp.sources.atari.st,
volume 2. If you're not using this version of uud yet, you should switch.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/14/90)

In article <1588@male.EBay.Sun.COM> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>Someone has suggested that since software to automatically save news articles
>using the filename in the "Archive-name" pseudo-header line, I should stop
>calling the articles program/part01, program/part02, etc. and start calling
>them program/program.uaa, program/program.uab, and so on.  This would enable
>Dumas uud to pick up the parts effortlessly.
>
>Personally, I'd like to see Dumas uud hacked to take multiple filenames
>on the command line instead, but it's no problem for me to use the proposed
>filenames if people prefer that.

It has been hacked.  I've mailed out several dozen copies of a version
that decodes as many files as you want (in fact, I routinely decode all
of the ST and PC files I pull of the net with a single command).  I'll
send a copy to Steven, although since I asm not the author of the
original, I really don't feel in a position to make a formal submission.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (04/15/90)

Steven Grimm writes:
>Personally, I'd like to see Dumas uud hacked to take multiple filenames
>on the command line instead, but it's no problem for me to use the proposed
>filenames if people prefer that.

Here's two scripts that I use to extract and assemble uuencode articles.
This comes as is  ... as for documentation UTSL (use the source luke)!
I pipe articles from Rn directly into uupart.  Later, a assemble the
parts with muu.  This works for me because I never get anything in the
right order.

BTW, this is just a hack that happens to work on every file I've tried
it on.

Eric

-----
uupart
-----
#!/bin/sh
# save uuencode parts in the right place

uufilename ()
{
awk '($1 == "begin"){if ($2 == "part") print $4; else print $3}' $1
}

strip ()
{
awk '
  ($1 == "begin" || $1 == "table") {flag = 1}
  {if (flag == 1) print}
  ($1 == "include" || $1 == "end") {flag = 0}
  ' <$1 >$2
}

T=/tmp/uupart.$$
trap "rm -f $T*; exit 0" 0 1 2 3 15

cat - >$T
strip $T `uufilename $T`

-----
muu
-----
#!/bin/sh
# combine multiple uuencoded files

uuoutput ()
{
awk '($1 == "begin" && $2 != "part") {print $3}' $1
}

nextfile ()
{
awk '
  ($1 == "include") {print $2; exit}
  ' <$1
}

body ()
{
awk '
  ($1 == "include") {flag = 0}
  {if (flag == 1) print}
  ($1 == "end") {flag = 0}
  ($1 == "begin") {flag = 1}
  ' <$1 >$2

}

header ()
{
awk '
  ($1 == "table") {flag = 1}
  ($1 == "begin") {print "begin 777 "$3; exit}
  {if (flag == 1) print}
  ' <$1 >$2
}

T=/tmp/muu.$$
trap "rm -f $T*; exit 0" 0 1 2 3 15

NEXT=${1?"requires name of first part"}
DIR=`expr $NEXT : '\(.*\)/.*' \| '.'`
NEXT=`expr //$NEXT : '.*/\(.*\)'`

OUT=`uuoutput $DIR/$NEXT`
if test ! "$OUT"; then
	echo "$NEXT doesn't contain the output file name"
	exit 1
fi

header $DIR/$NEXT $T.uu
while test $NEXT