[comp.sys.atari.st] X Windows

SQ79@liverpool.ac.UK (Mark Powell) (08/14/89)

   I've heard that there's an X-windows package that runs on the Megas. Is this
true? If anyone knows anything about this could they e-mail me with the info.
Thanks in advance.

Mark Powell

ARPAnet : sq79%liv.ac.uk@{ucl-cs.arpa,cs.ucl.ac.uk}
USENET  : ...!mcvax!ukc!liv.ac.uk!sq79

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) (08/16/89)

As far as I know, there is no XWindows.  There is a simple program
called Unix Windows, which allows you to run several tasks on a remote
Unix machine in different GEM windows.

Atari has mentioned that they might include X-Windows in the
long-promised but unlikely-ever-to-be-seen 68030 machine.  Perhaps
that's where you heard it.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (08/17/89)

In article <89081607065604@masnet.uucp> david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) writes:
>As far as I know, there is no XWindows.  There is a simple program
>called Unix Windows, which allows you to run several tasks on a remote
>Unix machine in different GEM windows.

You can get X Windows with IDRIS, but it runs over a serial link.
I guess the IDRIS people aren't listening anymore, as they have
posted here about the product before.

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (08/22/89)

Is it possible to post this "Unix Windows"-software to the net?

--
  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
  Fridstav. 4		  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!

koreth@panarthea.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (08/22/89)

In article <1609@pkmab.se> daniel@pkmab.UUCP (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>Is it possible to post this "Unix Windows"-software to the net?

It already was posted, quite a while ago.  Send the word "help" to
archive-server%panarthea.ebay@sun.com for information about getting it.
(Newcomers to the net should check out the archives, as there's a lot of
good stuff there.  You may save yourself quite a bit of money on software
with comp.binaries.atari.st...)

---
This message is a figment of your imagination.  Any opinions are yours.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (08/24/89)

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:

>Is it possible to post this "Unix Windows"-software to the net?

Which software do you mean? Are you thinking of X-Windows sources?
Then I would say no, because they're several MegaBytes.

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

hulse@iris.ucdavis.EDU (C.A. Hulse) (08/24/89)

I've noticed quite a bit of discussion about X-windows for the ST here
lately...

I inquired about a few months ago, and I got a reply from someone in
Germany, that there IS
an X-11 server available for the ST.  unfortunately, I can't seem to
find the article.  As for
availability outside of Germany, I don't know.

--Andy

013352@DOLUNI1.BITNET ("Konrad Blum,Dept.Phys.,Univ.Oldenburg, (08/25/89)

Months ago I read          that X Windows will be vailable for
OS-68000 for Mega ST. Anyone who heard about that ?

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (08/26/89)

Yes, but isn't that just the ST binaries. I've downloaded that stuff and
the docs say that you need the unix-side stuff to make it run.

Where can I find this???

Could someone post some pointers to this, like the actual filename and
what server might have it.

Thanks, Randy

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) (08/29/89)

In article <461@nixpbe.UUCP> mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>
>>Is it possible to post this "Unix Windows"-software to the net?
>
>Which software do you mean? Are you thinking of X-Windows sources?
>Then I would say no, because they're several MegaBytes.
>
>Martin

   Would it be possible to post just the Un*x side of the X-Windows program
or is that a big part of the MegaBytes of sources?  I have the X-Windows/ST
side of it ... now if only I had something to hook it up with....

Mike

(no silly .sig, no time...)

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (08/29/89)

In article <19538@usc.edu>, mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) writes:
> In article <461@nixpbe.UUCP> mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
> >daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
> >
> >>Is it possible to post this "Unix Windows"-software to the net?

Unix Windows (I think the actual program name is "uw") is quite different
from X Windows.  I'm not sure where, but it is already posted on the net.
Perhaps someone else can help?

> >Which software do you mean? Are you thinking of X-Windows sources?
> >Then I would say no, because they're several MegaBytes.
> >
> >Martin
>
>    Would it be possible to post just the Un*x side of the X-Windows program
> or is that a big part of the MegaBytes of sources?  I have the X-Windows/ST
> side of it ... now if only I had something to hook it up with....

I think you have your window systems mixed up :-)  There isn't a Un*x side
to the X-Windows program since X-Windows isn't a single program, but a
collection of "clients" that are hardware-independent and a graphics "server"
that is hardware dependent.  "Unix Windows" on the other hand, consists of
a Un*x part and a ST part.

Tom

--
+---------------+-----------------------------+  I don't remember,
+---------------+-----------------------------+  Of anything at all. P. Gabriel

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) (08/30/89)

>   Would it be possible to post just the Un*x side of the X-Windows program
>or is that a big part of the MegaBytes of sources?  I have the X-Windows/ST
                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^

   This is WRONG!   I'm sorry for those who asked about the X-Windows soft-
ware (boy do I _wish_ I had that...) but what I have is Un*x Windows.  This
program (Un*x Windows) requires a program to be run on the Un*x host that it
is hooked to, to be able to use all of the unix-window functions.  THAT is
the Un*x side that I am looking for.

   Sorry for the confusion folks....

Mike

(if we could live with our mistakes, I'd have X-windows to give you...)

mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu      (but ye olde "r" function is _much_ nicer...)

george@electro.UUCP (George Reimer) (08/30/89)

In article <19538@usc.edu> mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu (Michael Baffoni) writes:

>....  I have the X-Windows/ST
>side of it ... now if only I had something to hook it up with....

	Would it be posssible to post just the ST side of X Windows. We recently
	bought two Optimax X-window's terminals for our Sun system which came
	with copyrighted binaries.  We also have a MEGA 2 hanging off one of the
	serial ports ( in VT100 mode ). I would be very curious to see how well
	this connection would work.

	If you can't ( re: copyrights etc. ) where can I obtain and for how much $?

George
Reimer

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (05/02/90)

In article <2362@bdt.UUCP>, H_KIM@bdt.UUCP writes:
|>You can get a X window to TT from X/Software in Germany. It's a commercial
|>product though and I don't think they are willing to give a way the source
|>code...

Not quite. Atari Germany has taken over distribution of X/ST/windows,
the X server, for the ST. They just stated it would be available in June
1990 in system special shops.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663