[comp.sys.atari.st] INFO-ATARI16 Digest V90 #500

UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET (Thomas Koenig) (05/03/90)

wrinde!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!ux1.cso.u
iuc.edu!uxa.cso.uiuc.edu!gwg33762@ucsd.edu wrote:

> Does anyone know: (1) If there is a standard (unix) for Fortran?
Yes, there is a standard. It is
           ANSI X3.9 - 1978
           Programming language FORTRAN
           American National Standards Institute, New York. 1978.

It defines the language commonly known as FORTRAN 77. However, most
unix machines have their little deviations from this standard, such
as allowing a line to be longer than 72 characters (punching cards,
anyone?), allowing lower case keywords, allowing recursion, allowing
identifiers to be longer than 6 characters etc. Depending on any of
these 'unix features' will make your program non-portable, and you
would give up the only real advantage that FORTRAN has over most
other programming languages: it is PORTABLE. So, ANSI FORTRAN is
definitely the thing to go for if you go for FORTRAN at all.

>      (2) If there is an ST compiler which compiles unix fortran?
There are two FORTRAN compilers for the ST which come to my mind
right now:

Prospero FORTRAN (said to be slow, full ANSI standard)
Absoft FORTRAN (don't know much about that one).

> Garret Gengler

Thomas Koenig
UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET
UI0T@IBM3090.RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE.DE