[comp.sys.atari.st] Amiga/Atari help

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (04/07/90)

Sorry, I was talking about the NeXT having a sound digitizer, not a SUN...
I only mentioned it as another example of a computer with a built-in hardware
option that lacks the guts many user need, and as a result, they often buy
additional hardware anyway, to meet some need that the stock equipment doesn't
fit....

Enough said...as has been said before, we all love our machines...I just didn't
want an Amiga user to be recommending an ST on an unfounded precedence...

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (04/07/90)

Please don't cross post over into the Atari group.  Let's just let this
die out so I don't have to wade through the Atari stuff over here in the
Amiga groups.

Patrick Horgan                           phorgan@cup.portal.com

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (04/07/90)

(Gregory Lemperle-Kerr) writes:

>>	Dave Small apparently has a 68030 card working for an ST that he
>>	will market...?
>
>	Big deal.  The Amiga has no less than 4 68030 boards (from CBM,
>	GVP, CSA and Ronin).  The GVP boad runs at 40 MHz.  These are
>	available now and have been for a while.

The last I heard from GVP, about three weeks ago, they were about to ship
a 33 MHz board Real Soon Now. At this moment you can walk into a store and
buy their 28 Mhz board which uses 25 MHz parts.

Be careful about stating information that is obtained second hand.
Advertizements are not a good source because companies have to submit their
ads long time in advance of the magazines reaching the stores. Thus
discrepancies between their plans and their actual offerings can be arise.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr5.191157.7522@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> you write:
>In article <40345@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey Kain) writes:
>
>	One other consideration you should have in choosing which
>computer to buy: which one is selling? The Amiga is selling very well,
>and sales are only increasing. Atari has had to continuously drop
>their prices to make their machines sell. Yes, you'll get a cheaper
This is NOT TRUE.  Since 1986, when we bought a 1040 w/monitor, the
_retail_ price has gone down $100.  The street price seems to have
gone down less.  What DID happen that might give you that impression
is that Atari "unbundled" the monitors and consoles, and introduced
the 520STfm (the one with the floppy).  "Instantly" the prices of
the machines dropped $175 and $300 (the bundled prices of the monitors)
and the price of the 520+drive configuration dropped because the drive
went from being external to internal.

What I've found surprising is that the price of the ST has basically
NOT DROPPED in four years.  If I were Atari, I'd be slashing prices like
mad and attempting to Super VLSI the ST and shrink board space.  There
is enough software out there that a real cheap ST could really eat up
some serious Amiga and Apple2GS market share.  I'd give up genlock and
all those colors to save real $$ and get some good software.

Meanwhile, Atari is in homeostasis in an industry where growth is imperative!
You need to sell hardware to sell software to make money for authors who
help you sell more hardware...

>machine, but IMHO at least it won't be well supported a year from now.
>Maybe the STacy and the TTs (whenever they come out) will change
>things, but I doubt it.
>

>	-- Ethan
>
>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
>
>"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
>		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

John Kawakami       kawakami@earthquake.berkeley.edu
                    ucbvax!earthquake.berkeley.edu!kawakami
                    take-a-right-up-the-hill-then-a-left-on-leroy

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (04/09/90)

erwinh@solist.htsa.aha.nl (Chaos Conquerer) writes:

> I can imagine that you think the Commodore Amiga is much better than the Atari  ST. Fine with me, maybe you are right (could be). But please stay in comp.sys.amiga.
(...)
> But enough of this slagging. The only point I try to make is the following :
> If you are an Amiga owner, an Macintosh owner, any computer whatsoever owner,
> please stay in your own newsgroup, or tell the story from both sides (not a simple I dunno!!). If you don't know than don't try to blacken the other computer.

Well, I must say, I _completely_ agree ! Couldn't have said it better.

BTW: Do you all know what nice machine you get, if you install OS-9/68k
     on your ST... worth a try.

Cheers,
Frank
---
+--------------------------------+ Darkness all around us
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.UUCP | We don't close our eyes
|   (Compuserve: 72427,2101)     | No one's gonna ground us
|          (BIX: fkaefer)        | We were born to fly
|     Starnberg, West Germany    | Comin' at us no stopping
+--------------------------------+ Born to amplify    [Carry On - Manowar]

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (04/10/90)

Can't help to add my two cents. I don't know if anyone else notices, almost in any
popular PC magazines, such as Byte, InfoWorld, etc, every once while you will see
a letter from an Amiga owner loudly protested a previous article, saying the article
forgot to mention about his Amiga already can do so-and-so. It seems these people
always feel insecure and need others attention.

Now can we just go back each's own newsgroup?
--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338      |       Disclaimer:
Motorola, Inc.  Logic IC Div., Mesa, AZ        |

ko0m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Richard O'Toole) (05/03/90)

First - Congratulations on moving on from your Macintoy.
Second - The gents at Commodore say Unix is on the way soon, probably worth
hanging in there for an amiga with Unix.  AMiga's are much more expandable
than ST's and will serve you better down the line.  The 68030 is readily
available for the amiga.
Third - I know people who have gotten educational discounts on amiga's don't as
me from where though.

Later.
-KOT