[comp.sys.atari.st] OS9/68K

marc@wopr.UUCP (Marc Balmer) (05/03/90)

D.Wade@sysd.salford.ac.UK writes:

> I too would like to try OS9/68K but in the U.K. the cost of it is slightly
>more than I paid for my STE512 and Phillips PM8833 monitor ........

OS-9/68K isn't that cheap (about 1500 Swiss Francs), but compare with any
other OS available for the ST:

- real-time
- multi-tasking
- multi-user capalities
- C development package
- Sculptor 4-th generation database
- Spread sheet and Wordprocessor
- A whole bunch of utilities
- UUCP and many other software packages are PD and absolutely free!

So it's definitely worth its price - I think it's better to pay for it
than to get a buggy and malfunctional so-called operating system like
TOS intends to be...

>on my personall shopping list. I guess those who use it either work for
>the authors and don't pay, or use it for commercial use.

In Switzerland there are many OS-9 Users which don't use it for commercial
purposes but just because of the many nice features.

Marc, marc@wopr.uucp

grunwald@Tokyo.ira.uka.de (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) (05/04/90)

>> I too would like to try OS9/68K but in the U.K. the cost of it is slightly
>>more than I paid for my STE512 and Phillips PM8833 monitor ........
>OS-9/68K isn't that cheap (about 1500 Swiss Francs), but compare with any
>other OS available for the ST:
>- real-time
>- multi-tasking
And OS9 is "easily" extendible to integrate Networks, CD-Rom, Interprocess-
communication (Sockets), other disk formats and so on, without hacking the
kernel and getting a lot of incompatibilities between programs.
There are indeed some of these extensions.
>So it's definitely worth its price - I think it's better to pay for it
>>on my personall shopping list. I guess those who use it either work for
>>the authors and don't pay, or use it for commercial use.
>In Switzerland there are many OS-9 Users which don't use it for commercial
>purposes but just because of the many nice features.
Here in Karlsruhe there are some Users too. If you use OS9 for some time, you
get used to the features. Then is programming or working under TOS just awful.
Playing games is fine, but if you have a long printout of i.e. Signum you
think: "If this could be done in background.". Or the possibility to switch
to another virtual terminal just in the middle of some text or database
processing and look up some data or format a disk.
I do all my "serious" work with OS9, because it is designed to work with it
and not to have a graphical user interface and nothing else.

The drawback of OS9 is of course the price, but on the long run you can switch
to bigger machines and other manufactures, which you can't do with TOS.

Knut Grunwald, Raiffeisenstr. 8, 7551 Elchesheim-Illingen