[comp.sys.atari.st] DCDESKTOP AND ACCS

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (05/03/90)

Well, I've been doing more work with DCDesktop and I have
found that it doesn't work with the screensaver accessory
strstrk.  Strstrk causes the disk to reboot when loading.
With strstrk disabled, the same floppy will boot the system.
Other accs, such as stuffer and ramit (which are from DC) work
fine.
Mike, any screensavers you know of that work with the desktop?
Also, should it make any difference if an acc is loaded upon
bootup as opposed to being loaded with stuffer?  I just
thought of this now, and I'm not at my ST.
--Gerry

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (05/04/90)

Well, earlier I stated that strstrk didn't work with dcdesktop
and wondered whether or not an acc that caused dcdesktop not
to boot could be added to the acc list later using DC's
Stuffer---well, in fact it can!  While listing strstrk on my
disk with an .acc extender caused an infinite reboot, I was
able to change the extender to .acx, have it not interfere
with the system boot, and then install it via DC Stuffer...and
it works.
Good going guys!
--Gerry

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (USENET Administration) (05/04/90)

Gerry -

My favorite screen saver (which I used since day one) is IDLE 1.2 by Moshe
Braner (one of the best PD programmers alive for the ST!)

As far as I know, if it behaves well inside STuffer, then it runs the same as
if were running as a normal DA.

Looks like I'll need to setup STuffer again on my hard disk...  Ran out of
space for DAs on it...

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Voice: (713)645-3759 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/04/90)

In article <3160@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>Strstrk causes the disk to reboot when loading.
>With strstrk disabled, the same floppy will boot the system.
>Mike, any screensavers you know of that work with the desktop?
>Also, should it make any difference if an acc is loaded upon
>bootup as opposed to being loaded with stuffer?  I just
>thought of this now, and I'm not at my ST.

My name isn't Mike (my father's was), but I have found PYRO to be the
most reliable screensaver yet.  It always works, whether with the
desktop, a GEM program, or a CLI (or Gemini, etc.), and I haven't had
any problems that seem remotely connected to it.  I've used it with TOS
1.0 and 1.4 by the way.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

steveh@tharr.UUCP (Steve Hamley) (05/05/90)

In article <3160@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>Well, I've been doing more work with DCDesktop and I have
>found that it doesn't work with the screensaver accessory
>strstrk.  Strstrk causes the disk to reboot when loading.
>With strstrk disabled, the same floppy will boot the system.
>Other accs, such as stuffer and ramit (which are from DC) work
>fine.

Which version of STRSTRK are you using? There was a bug in version 1.0
which caused it to eat memory. This has now been fixed in version 1.1,
curing practically all of the incompatability problems.

   ...ukc!axion!tharr!steveh