[comp.sys.atari.st] What is wrong with Terminator's directory??

longj@LONEX.RADC.AF.MIL (Jeffrey K. Long) (05/04/90)

I have been unable to get a directory listing of terminator's "New" directory
for some time now.  Using FTP I can get a list of all the directories and
see that the "new" directory has an updated time-stamp on it, but when I
do CD to new and then try to do an "ls", I always get back an "unreadable"
message.  This only seems to happen in the new dirctory, all the others work
as they always have.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Bruno) (05/05/90)

In article <9005041337.AA06734@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@LONEX.RADC.AF.MIL (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
 >I have been unable to get a directory listing of terminator's "New" directory
 >for some time now.  Using FTP I can get a list of all the directories and
 >see that the "new" directory has an updated time-stamp on it, but when I
 >do CD to new and then try to do an "ls", I always get back an "unreadable"
 >message.  This only seems to happen in the new dirctory, all the others work
 >as they always have.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

Access to the /atari/new directory has been changed to write-only for
anonymous ftp users. Probably so programs can be checked out before people
start using them, or maybe to stop people from using that directory for
their own purposes, I don't know.

---jb

In article <3204@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Bruno) writes:
>In article <9005041337.AA06734@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@LONEX.RADC.AF.MIL (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
> >I have been unable to get a directory listing of terminator's "New" directory
> >for some time now.  Using FTP I can get a list of all the directories and
> >see that the "new" directory has an updated time-stamp on it, but when I
> >do CD to new and then try to do an "ls", I always get back an "unreadable"
> >message.  This only seems to happen in the new dirctory, all the others work
> >as they always have.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

>Access to the /atari/new directory has been changed to write-only for
>anonymous ftp users. Probably so programs can be checked out before people
>start using them, or maybe to stop people from using that directory for
>their own purposes, I don't know.

This is a simple security precaution. By preventing anonymous users from
seeing the filenames in the directory, we reduce the chance that some malicious
screwball will replace a valid program by a virus-infested one (for example)
by uploading a new file with the identical name. There aren't too many good
solutions to managing an archive that's globally writable.

Hard to imagine someone deliberately sabotaging an archive site, but ya never
know. At any rate, with the new indexing efforts, files shouldn't stay in new
very long anyway.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  ... the glass is always greener on the side ...