[comp.sys.atari.st] Fortran 77

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/04/90)

In article <"90-05-02-14:45:21.70*UI0T"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET (Thomas Koenig) writes:
>It defines the language commonly known as FORTRAN 77. However, most
>unix machines have their little deviations from this standard, such
>as allowing a line to be longer than 72 characters (punching cards,
>anyone?), allowing lower case keywords, allowing recursion, allowing
>identifiers to be longer than 6 characters etc. Depending on any of
>these 'unix features' will make your program non-portable, and you
>would give up the only real advantage that FORTRAN has over most
>other programming languages: it is PORTABLE. So, ANSI FORTRAN is
>definitely the thing to go for if you go for FORTRAN at all.

All Fortran's have some extensions.  They rarely cause problems if you
write your code according to the standard.  So this means that you can
buy a compiler that has extensions (in fact, you almost have to!), but
don't use them if you want portability.

The issue of portability is currently being discussed in comp.lang.fortran,
so you should read that group if the issue concerns you.

>>      (2) If there is an ST compiler which compiles unix fortran?
>There are two FORTRAN compilers for the ST which come to my mind
>right now:
>
>Prospero FORTRAN (said to be slow, full ANSI standard)
>Absoft FORTRAN (don't know much about that one).

I have been using Absoft and it appears to be a full implementation.
It also supports GEM through the use of a reasonable set of extensions
(they have a special subroutine for the interface to non-Fortran features).

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

schiers@mcshh.hanse.de (Carsten Schiers) (05/06/90)

I use Prospero Fortran. Though it's slow, I like it, for its source level
debuger and the possibility to link it together with ANSI-C, Pascal, and
Assembler. All integrated into one Workbench together with a make for a
reasonable price. O.K., it's slow, we know this. But Use this time to
think about your code. TURBO-XYZ is a little like an interpreter. You're
using the speed for syntax checking only.

CU Carsten.
unido!imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de!schiers
unido!netmbx!mcshh!schiers