[comp.sys.atari.st] Diablo 630 emulator for SLM804

XUUM24@PRIME-A.CENTRAL-SERVICES.UMIST.AC.UK (Mr. Stephen Culshaw) (05/04/90)

Does anyone have the instructions for this emulator. I got it when
I bought my SLM804 and sort of got it working but there are some
weird things about it. Why can you create a config. with more then
one printer font in it when you can only use the first font in the
config. list - perhaps its possible to change font (which would be
very nice). Does anyone know anything about this?
While I'm asking for documentation does anyone have any on the SLM
itself? I'd be really interested in knowing how to control the beast.

Steve C.

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (05/07/90)

In article <$TGRCDDJBDVTQ.at.UMPA> XUUM24@PRIME-A.CENTRAL-SERVICES.UMIST.AC.UK (Mr. Stephen Culshaw) writes:

>Does anyone have the instructions for this emulator. I got it when
>I bought my SLM804 and sort of got it working but there are some
>weird things about it. Why can you create a config. with more then
>one printer font in it when you can only use the first font in the
>config. list - perhaps its possible to change font (which would be
>very nice). Does anyone know anything about this?

Like most printers, the Diablo emulator for the SLM804 accepts a variety
of escape sequences to control various functions.  The sequence
	ESC, SO, d
selects font "d", where d is an ASCII decimal digit.  Here ESC is
ASCII code 27 and SO is ASCII code 14.  Thus, the decimal codes to
select the font in slot 3 are:
	27, 14, 51
(since 51 is the ASCII code for '3').  Many other escape sequences are
supported.  Consult your manual for details.

>While I'm asking for documentation does anyone have any on the SLM
>itself? I'd be really interested in knowing how to control the beast.

You should have received a manual with your printer.  You'll need it
when time comes to add toner, change drums, clean fuser rollers, and
so forth.  There isn't much to "control" with a laser printer; basically
you feed it with paper and run appropriate software.  There IS a lot that
can be controlled with the Diablo emulator software---you do this with two
programs:  SETUP630.PRG and SETUP630.ACC.  They take the place of the
front panel switches found on other printers.  If you don't have these,
you will need to get them.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |