[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari documentation.

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (05/07/90)

n-waters@NIMR.MRC.AC.UK (Nick Waterson) writes:

>	So as to Atari, Why cant they produce a set of definative manuals for
>the ST at an affordable price. This would stop mal-programming, would
>encourage more and better quality programmes to be written etc etc. To take
>two examples wouldn't current software be much better if everyone used .IMG
>format for graphics instead of having to fight through 7 or so other specs;
>also wouldn't it be great if we all used GDOS properly, again not having to
>cope with several in house product fonts, the latter by now would surely
>resulted in more GDOS fonts being available (a la Mac), and also more drivers.

ATARI Germany supports a book called "Vom Anfaenger zum GEM-Profi" published
here in Germany. This book tells you lots about current GEM and GDOS standards,
though it's not a complete GEM reference. Other standards (GEMDOS networking
standards et cetera) have been talked about and settled in developper
conferences at ATARI Germany. So things seem to improve gradually.

>	So back to Atari. You guys youve got the data, youve got the ability,
>why not do it. Just think of the money.......yes money......

I don't think money is the problem. They have problems in getting the TT out
of the door, and so they don't have any TIME to do much doc by themselves.
At least, this is the way it seems to be.

Claus Brod