[comp.sys.atari.st] Smalltalk ??

joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) (05/02/90)

From: gnu.announce:

> I am happy to announce the availibility of GNU Smalltalk, version 1.0.

> ...GNU Smalltalk is a reasonably complete
> implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language defined in ...
> ..and was even recently ported to an Atari ST. ...

Has somebody already seen this smalltalk on a ST???

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23          		Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: tnosoes!joep@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands         	    or: uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!joep

gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (05/03/90)

It is available on dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (that's J. Bammi's m/c). Only having a
1040 (at the moment) I can't run it myself.

--

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gray@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gray%hplb.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
U.K.                          	|  gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

schiers@mcshh.hanse.de (Carsten Schiers) (05/05/90)

joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
>Has somebody already seen this smalltalk on a ST???

Yes, seen. If I get my 4MB in the next days, I'll tell you, whether
it works.

As maybe already mentioned, there is a special price for students
and universities for Smalltalk-80 from ParcPlaceSystems at Georg
Heeg at Unido. The normal distribution is about DM 400,-. I do not
know, whether he is allowed to distribute it outside Germany.

CU Carsten.
unido!imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de!schiers
unido!netmbx!mcshh!schiers

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (05/07/90)

>CU Carsten.
>Smalltalk-80 from ParcPlaceSystems at Georg Heeg at Unido.
>I do not know, whether he is allowed to distribute it outside Germany.

Bummer that, now there's two I want! SmallTalk & Turbo C, boy Atari USA sure
should ENCOURAGE dealers to import this STuff, though I'd NEED English docs.

Ed June

bugg@cup.portal.com
    ^should be buggs, sorry............

stefan@hpbbi4.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) (05/08/90)

> The normal distribution is about DM 400,-.

      ^^^^^^

A friend of mine bought smalltalk a year ago. And if things didnot
change the above statement isn't quite correct.
This is NOT the normal distribution. This is a special price
for students. The NORMAL price is about DM 2400.

Stefan

PS:
	Add DM 200 for books, the manual is not valuable for
	learning smalltalk