[comp.sys.atari.st] Unix Windows

agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) (06/16/87)

[]

Does anyone have the source for the part of Unix Windows that runs on the
Atari?  Please mail me if you have it and are willing to send it.

Cheers, Andrew

wade@lll-tis.arpa (Mike Wade) (06/19/87)

In article <547@ubu.warwick.UUCP> agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) writes:
>[]
>
>Does anyone have the source for the part of Unix Windows that runs on the
>Atari?  Please mail me if you have it and are willing to send it.
>
>Cheers, Andrew

I second that. If anyone has it I would appreciate a copy.

					MEW

--
Michael E. Wade
ARPA: wade@lll-tis.arpa

billw@wolf.UUCP (06/19/87)

I third that. I have parts 1 and 3, but part 2 never made it to wolf. And has
anybody gotten it running on SysV yet?
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

las@msudoc.UUCP (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) (06/23/87)

I too would like UW source.
	thanks,
                                    ==larry
--
---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        USENET: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry

jparker@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (James Parker) (09/21/88)

According to the man page for uw, the arc-encoded program and
documentation for the ST  version of Unix Windows is kept on
watmath in

/usr/source/public/commands/uw/st/*

I had a look using 'jqperuse' and found it, but my question is
how do I copy it onto my account so that I can download it to my
ST...I don't have a watmath account.

Also, I noticed that the date on the man page was 1986, which makes
me wonder if this is a recent version of uw.  I have tried several
times to get uw from fileservers but haven't got any reply...so if
someone has a newer version, could they let me know.

Suggestions anyone -- James

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (09/21/88)

In article <4032@watvlsi.waterloo.edu> jparker@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (James Parker) writes:
> According to the man page for uw, the arc-encoded program and
> documentation for the ST  version of Unix Windows is kept on
> watmath in
>
>	/usr/source/public/commands/uw/st/*
>
> [...]   my question is how do I copy it onto my account ...
> ...I don't have a watmath account.

Try the "rcp"  (Remote CoPy)  command.

From your home machine, give these commands:

	rcp watmath.jqpublic:/usr/source/public/commands/uw/st/ReadMe .
	rcp watmath.jqpublic:/usr/source/public/commands/uw/st/uw.arc .

Lee Dickey

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

egisin@watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (09/21/88)

Here's how you can use ftp to copy source from watmath.
Ftp is more convenient that rcp is some cases.
You can use the "cd" and "ls" commands to browse.

$ ftp watmath
Name: anonymous
Password: anonymous
ftp> binary				- required for binary files
ftp> cd /usr/source/public/commands/uw/st
ftp> ls
ReadMe
uw.arc
ftp> get ReadMe			- copies ReadMe to your current directory
ftp> get uw.arc
ftp> ^D

small@netsys.COM (Wilson Small) (06/20/89)

hi all.....

A while back a program called 'Unix Windows' was posted
in the binaries.....I'm looking for the unix-side
mate to this AtariST program (actually I was waiting
for it to be posted...)  Can anybody tell me where I
could find the Unix side to this program?

Thanks.....

			willy small

small@netsys.COM
{...ames,att,rutgers}!netsys!small

nims@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Nims) (09/01/89)

The sources for the host side of Unix Windows (uw) are available at
sumex.stanford.edu in infomac/unix/uw*

Chris Nims
Northwestern University

pa1562@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (C. Squibby Breyman) (10/10/89)

	I am trying to run unixwindows (uw.arc) on my 520fm but
I can't set rs232 because by mouse pointer disappears. Does one need
1 meg to run this properly? Also, are the unix side drivers
available? Where?
	Thanks,
	C. Breyman
	squibby@do.ucsd.edu

news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (USENET Master) (01/06/90)

Can anybody out there tell me if UW (unix windows) works with tos 1.4?
I've been trying to get it to work, but alas, to no avail.  Strange things
happen..sometimes it bombs, sometimes I get no lower case letters (try
THAT on unix...) and sometimes it just plain does not work.  I am , of
course, using a monochrome monitor, a 1040 ST with 1 meg.  Perhaps I
am missing something...

From: cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth)

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (01/10/90)

news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (USENET Master) writes:

>Can anybody out there tell me if UW (unix windows) works with tos 1.4?

Yes, I can. I'm writing this using UW having ROM TOS 1.4.
I called it just the first time - I hav not yet opened a second window.

I'll try it after finishing this message. If that does'nt work, i'll send
a second message.

      kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
UUCP: kloppen@gmdzi
                                  In reallife: Jelske Kloppenburg

In article <21617@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) writes:
>Can anybody out there tell me if UW (unix windows) works with tos 1.4?
>I've been trying to get it to work, but alas, to no avail.  Strange things
>happen..sometimes it bombs, sometimes I get no lower case letters (try
>THAT on unix...) and sometimes it just plain does not work.  I am , of
>course, using a monochrome monitor, a 1040 ST with 1 meg.  Perhaps I
>am missing something...

Which version of UW are you using on the ST? I use the version in uwbin.arc
from terminator, it works fine on my Mega w/TOS 1.4. It also works with the
overscan mod, which makes it that much nicer...

This uw version also has a bare-bones kermit client. Handy...
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

jdb9608@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.D. Beutel) (05/02/90)

In article <1396@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:
>   So, if anyone has a SysV version of the unix window host side, let me
>(us) know...
>
>--
>David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
>(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu
>(414) 524-6809 (home)           |           100 NE Ave, Waukesha WI 53186

I don't think `uw` is possible without job control.

Since I sometimes use it at school, I wanted to use it
on co-op, but they had various System V versions
which could not handle pseudo-terminals (`uw` needs pty's).
Without pty's, signals would not work (interupts, stops, etc)
because any SIG would go to every process you're running,
not just the ones in whatever window you're currently using.
Without the ability to create different process groups,
`uw` can't work the way it was intended.

So, a re-write of the tty device drivers and some of Un*x itself
is required for SysV, I think.  Has anyone undertaken this?

J. David Beutel  11011011  jdb9608@cs.rit.edu  "I am, therefore I am."

ripley@tubopal.UUCP (Ch. Eckert) (05/09/90)

In article <1396@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:
]In article <1327.2639e4d8@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
]> [uw references]
]>Anyway, has anyone got it to run?
]
]   Yes, I got it to work on my mono 1040.  Unfortunately, the host side was
]written (apparently) for VAX VMS, which I did not have the inclination to
]port (uw, not VMS :-).
]   So, if anyone has a SysV version of the unix window host side, let me
](us) know...

Here we have a BSD-Server up and running (under SunOS 4.x). A sys5-server
might be nice though, as the version currenctly available will not
run under Xenix (which the other side I read News on runs.)

BTW: Is there any usable documentation about the uw-protocol? I browsed
through the archive-list of our version here and didn't find such a thing.
I don't want to browse the sources in order to find out how the protocol
works.

Greetings,
				RIPLEY

--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)