[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems with drive light....

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (05/09/90)

I've been noticing a problem with the disk drive on my 1040 ST.

When it's been on for a little while, the drive light comes on, and stays on.

I dont hear a spinning, the light just comes on.  If I access the drive, the
light will go off when it is done, and sometimes it comes back on, other times
it doesn't.  The drive has had problems recognizing a media change for a long
time now, but I usually just change the right protect status of the disk, and
it reads teh new disk.

One other thing, when I boot, after it loads all of the auto programs, the
desktop appears, but it remains white for a few seconds before it turns green.
This didn't use to happen before.  It used to go to green right away.

Auto programs:
AHDI		PLAY
BEEP            SKULL
CLICK           STARTGEM   (RUNNING NEODESK)
FATSPEED        SUPERBT
FOLDR100        UISII
OATBRAN         VACCINE
WATCHER

Accessories:
MOUSEKA
NEOQUEUE
TURBOST
CALLUIS

Any suggestions would be appreciated....
Thanx!
--
	       ____
                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (05/09/90)

In article <1377.264736da@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>I've been noticing a problem with the disk drive on my 1040 ST.
>
>When it's been on for a little while, the drive light comes on, and stays on.

I admit it; it's my fault!

The drive light problem is caused by either click.prg, beep.prg, or both.
(Probably both.)  It's completely harmless, but I admit it's somewhat
disturbing.

Good news, though:  I think I've fixed the problem.  I'm going to test the
new versions of the programs for a few days, then post them to terminator
again.

>One other thing, when I boot, after it loads all of the auto programs, the
>desktop appears, but it remains white for a few seconds before it turns green.
>This didn't use to happen before.  It used to go to green right away.

Are you running digivec also?  Digivec waits a couple seconds after GEM
loads to install its vectors.  This could be some bizarre side effect.
(I doubt it, though.)

Also, wait version of TOS are you running?

(Please reply via email.)

Dave Baggett
dmb@wam.umd.edu

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (05/09/90)

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

>When it's been on for a little while, the drive light comes on, and stays on.
>I dont hear a spinning, the light just comes on.  If I access the drive, the
>light will go off when it is done, and sometimes it comes back on, other times
>it doesn't.  The drive has had problems recognizing a media change for a long
>time now, but I usually just change the right protect status of the disk, and
>it reads teh new disk.
>desktop appears, but it remains white for a few seconds before it turns green.
>This didn't use to happen before.  It used to go to green right away.

First try to disable your AUTO folder programs and ACCs and see what happens.
Nobody here can detect the problem when you've installed so many programs
that might interfere with each other. Do some testing, then let us know.

Claus Brod