[comp.sys.atari.st] Request for 16Mhz CPU Upgrade Information

SA44@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Kevin Maguire) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.083908.1200@diku.dk>, jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens
Tingleff) says:

>jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) ((My self)) writes:
>[..]
>
>>(I'll find the article about the 16 MHz upgrade today. It is NOT the
>>one with a gace, just a few chips to make the CPU hang on to the bus.
>>I really don't think there is much speed there...)
>
>I found it (hooray). It's the 10/88 number of ST Magazin. I'll make
>a Postscript drawing (++) of the circuit (allowing switching between 16
>and 8 MHz, neat) and suggested realisation (PCB on top of socket
>inserted instead of original CPU) tomoorow. The quoted speed increase is 20%
>on a BASIC program using SIN() functions.
>
>I have received SO MANY replies to my postings on this subject that I
>can't answer all of them individually. I try to answer a few questions
>here.

Have you seen the hypercache upgrade board? I know it's expensive but
it's good (I don't know whether it's 200 pounds good however) IT's got
a 16K  (or is it 8) data cache to give it some speed. It also has a slot
for a 68881 and slots for the TOS1.4 roms so that ROM routines will be
run at full speed. They're meant to be bringing out a 68030 hypercache
soon, but I don't know much about that one.
   I was toying with the idea of buying a hypercache to speed minix up
a little, but I don't think it's worth it. Maybe I'll just buy a
33Mhz 386 and be done with it :-) (Running Xenix of course)

Kevin Maguire

Nsfnet : sa44%liv.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Uucp   : ...!mcsun!ukc!liv-ib!sa44