[comp.sys.atari.st] OO-GEM Proposal and Smalltalk-80 question

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (05/25/90)

I haven't seen SIMULA in years!  Last time I used it was on TOPS-10!
I still have my manuals sitting on my shelf not 5 feet away.
I can hardly wait!

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (05/25/90)

On the other hand, what about XLISP?
That has been known to run on the ST.

Also, I have heard that something called Scheme is OO.
There exists an Xscheme by the author of Xlisp.
Perhaps it, too, would run on the Atari.

Both are written in C.

But neither would qualify, I don't think, as a complete environment.
Or would they?

-- Kenn Goutal

"Ship and travel intermodally;  commute electronically!"

UUCP:	kenn@rr.MV.COM		(...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn)
  or:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM	(...decvax!zinn!kenn)
BIX:	kenn
CompuServe:	71117.2572	(PARTI handle == kenn)
TelePath:	kenn

schiers@mcshh.hanse.de (Carsten Schiers) (05/26/90)

bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Bill Hodges) writes:
>I have seen several articles on Smalltalk-80 and because of a growing
>interest in object oriented things (OOP, OOA, etc.) I am interested
>in buying it.  However, I called Parc Place in California and they
>don't know of a version for the ST.  I am interested in any OO language
>that has a stable version for the ST.  Any suggestions?

Since g++ isn't stable, you should ask ParcPlace again. I have their
original Smalltalk-80 Version 2.3 Rel. 4 from 1988. The address is
written on the six disks labels:

ParcPlace Systems, Inc.,
1550 Plymouth Str.,
Mountain View,
CA 94043,
U.S.A.

I've got it from my German distributor Georg Heeg at Dortmund. It is stable
and full compatible to all other Parcplace implementation, even the images
are shareable.

CU Carsten.
unido!imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de!schiers