[comp.sys.atari.st] To speed up the ST!

marten@tpki.uucp (Marten Feldtmann) (05/23/90)

>From:  riddler@iesd.auc.dk (Claus Priisholm)
>Date:  22 May 90 12:10:47 GMT

>In article <12154@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>>I wonder why no one ever marketed a 68010 based accelerator. Not enough zip
>>to be worth the trouble?

>The 68010 introduces some of the same problems as 68020 and upwards.
>It has an extra register for its virtual memory management, this register
>will be put on the stack on exceptions. TOS must then remember to remove

A German magazine (ct) produced a card with 68020 and 68881 and also developed
a patched Blitter-TOS version. They removed F-Traps and so on and I tested it
with a 68010. But my ST did not get much faster, about 3% to 5%.

With 68020/68881 I got the information, that you perhaps get 20% to 30%, but
at those days, there were not many compilers supporting this card, using the
68020 instructions or even the F-Traps, but now TURBO-C 2.0 has arrived....

Now the best way to speed up the ST is to get a 16MHZ card with cache. I am
using one for about five months and it speeds up the ST about 50% to 75%.
Smalltalk, for example,  speeds up from Index 40 to Index 70.

The company is now developing a 68030-16 MHZ card including cache and 32-bit
patched ROM, but the price (>2000.- DM)!!! They will show it on the Atari fair
in Duesseldorf this summer.

 Marten

M. Feldtmann,  Eckernfoerder Str.83,  2300 Kiel 1,  West-Germany
  SUBNET:marten@feki  DNET\EUNET\USENET:marten@tpki.de

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (05/29/90)

marten@tpki.uucp (Marten Feldtmann) writes:

[..]

>at those days, there were not many compilers supporting this card, using the
>68020 instructions or even the F-Traps, but now TURBO-C 2.0 has arrived....

Or, ahemm, GCC using ``-m68881 -m68020'' options and the special assembler,
from dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (or, of course, bravo.ces.cwru.edu).

	Jens
jensting@diku.dk is
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Research Assistent at DIKU
	Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O