[comp.sys.atari.st] desktop.inf

bruce@ektools.UUCP (01/31/87)

Can anyone tell me how the Desktop decides which disk it should write
DESKTOP.INF on to? I haven't figured out a specific pattern of its
behavior, despite having it write at various times onto A:, B:, or C:.

Bruce D. Nelson, Sr. Appl. Analyst: Software Maintenance, Product Line Systems
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650, 716 726-7890
UUCP:   {allegra, seismo}!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
ARPA:   kodak!ektools!bruce@rochester.ARPA

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (03/07/88)

Is there any documentation on this file? and it's format?  I have a slight
idea from seeing multiple versions of DESKTOP.INF but would enjoy something
more coherent.  Thanks to all in advance, and I'll summarize either to those
others you are as misinformed as I, or the net if there's sufficient interest.
Please reply to me directly since I don't get the newsgroups (any ;-{).

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (03/21/89)

is there a ** legal ** way of obtaining the current desktop.inf information
in memory. what i am wondering if it is possible to get the current window
search mask information in memory, and being able to alter it at will. This
would allow the window to search not only *.*, but also *.c, *.o, or anything
that your heart desires. This would be very useful for stuff like backing up
all your .c files to floppy, since you wouldn't have to sort by type, then pick
out the .c files from all the rest in a window, etc.

after searching in low memory, i was able to find a the copy of desktop.inf.
using TEMPLMON, i poked in a new search mask for one of my windows, returned
to the desktop, and when that window was redraw, voila, the search included
only what i had asked for.

to me, that seems like a pretty good feature for atari not to have expoited.

comments from atari PLEASE

--
Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

"Those who can't, criticize" (author unknown)
"ain't it ironic that according to Rushton, Suzuki is right!"

t19@np1.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (03/21/89)

The AES function shel_get will give you a pointer to this structure in
memory.  My docs (Turbo C, not the best for docs) say that this is the
AES environment.  Does anyone know how I can get something useful in this
environment, like a PATH=d:\bin or SHELL=d:\shell.prg ?

Geert Jan van OLdenborgh,
t19@nikhefh.hep.nl

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (03/27/89)

In article <435@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

|is there a ** legal ** way of obtaining the current desktop.inf information
|in memory.

As someone mentioned, there is the shel_get call.  However, it only
returns the address of the AES internal buffer which is sometimes used
to store DESKTOP.INF data, ***AND*** the format of that buffer is
SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
  In other words, don't try to use what you find there, or your software
will surely break in the future.

|what i am wondering if it is possible to get the current window
|search mask information in memory, and being able to alter it at will. This
|would allow the window to search not only *.*, but also *.c, *.o, or anything
|that your heart desires. [...]

While that is an admirable goal, it is NOT a good idea to go peeking
around in the AES' private variable space.  The AES and Desktop are a
very tangled intertwining convoluted piece of work, and you stand a very
good chance of breaking something before you would add a useful
enhancement if you tried to modify the way the Desktop handles window
templates.  This feature is, in fact, on the slate for the next revision
of the Desktop!  In the mean time, might I recommend that you try
NeoDesk from Gribnif Software.  It has the "window template" feature,
and a host of other enhancements that Atari just didn't have room for in
192K worth of ROM space.

|Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

|"Those who can't, criticize" (author unknown)
|"ain't it ironic that according to Rushton, Suzuki is right!"

--
 Ken Badertscher                 | #include <disclaimer>
 Atari R&D Software Engine       | GEMDOS LIVES! ...or is that Frodo?

sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) (11/13/89)

The first line of a desktop.inf files contains information about the RS232
port.  Does anyone know how to set the full/half duplex status and the
strip bit ON/OFF status?  It doesn't seem to be part of the Rsconf() function.
Any info would be appreciated.

Steven Lee
sslee@polyslo.calpoly.edu

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (11/13/89)

Along the same lines, can someone tell me where I can find the info to
decode the desktop.inf file ? What do all of those number mean ?

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|   " Tragedy plus time = comedy "                                  |

ur_lord@the_land (ur-lord) (11/21/89)

Steven Lee,
           Duplex and highbit stripping is not handled by TOS. Your own
           program will have to handle those chores.
                                       ur-lord@The_Land
                                       jsmodula@bix
                                       synergist@genie
                                       jim kershner@110/150.200

cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (12/16/89)

I tried to respond to a question posted here about the desktop.inf file.
Unfortunately, the mailer could find "inmet."  Here is the core of my reply:

  In article <30200017@inmet> you write:

  >Along the same lines, can someone tell me where I can find the info to
  >decode the desktop.inf file ? What do all of those number mean ?

  Haynes, McKendre. "Customizing the GEM Desktop." Compute!'s Atari ST Disk and
  Magazine, April 1987, pp. 36,42.

  The numbers are hexadecimal and are bit settings for a variety of stuff
  ranging from the RS-232 port to what applications are installed.

  I also have a utility that modifies the icons but I don't remember which
  magazine it came from.

  Hope this puts you on the right track if you weren't already.

--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC Information Sciences Institute

asedm@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (05/30/90)

can somebody explain to me what the various entries in desktop.inf do?
this must be documented somewhere but I guess I missed it...
thanks!
   Wasted Rock Ranger