[comp.sys.atari.st] Looking for a Disk De-Fragger....

baffoni@alcor.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (05/25/90)

    Does anyone out there have a good PD Disk defragger, or utility/program
that accomplishes the same thing?  If it makes any difference, I have a 80MB
Quantum Pro-drive, and ICD Host adapter (I doubt that it should however).

  Thanks,

  Mike
or
  baffoni@alcor.usc.edu
  mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu

  "Remember, Fencing is a dangerous sport.  But then, so is walking down the
     street..."  - a man who has fenced longer than I've been alive...:)

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (05/30/90)

From article <9880@chaph.usc.edu>, by baffoni@alcor.usc.edu (Juxtaposer):

>     Does anyone out there have a good PD Disk defragger, or utility/program
> that accomplishes the same thing?  If it makes any difference, I have a 80MB
> Quantum Pro-drive, and ICD Host adapter (I doubt that it should however).

>   Thanks,

>   Mike
> or
>   baffoni@alcor.usc.edu
>   mbaffoni@skat.usc.edu

>   "Remember, Fencing is a dangerous sport.  But then, so is walking down the
>      street..."  - a man who has fenced longer than I've been alive...:)

I have heard vague rumors of a PD defragger, but I have and use
Michtron's Hard Disk ToolKit.  It needs to be updated, as it has some bugs
that let you harm your drive (*always* quit immediately after
defragging, the program will cause the necessary reboot) and has the
usual terrible Michtron manual, but it does do a nice job of
defragging 16Meg or less partitions (*not* my new 32Meg TOS 1.4
partition 8-( ).  I haven't used the backup portion of the program, as
I read a review that said it wasn't the most secure backup program
around and because it uses the archive bit in reverse, since the programmer
claims that the old TOSes used it that way.  NeoDesk and/or TOS 1.4
correct this.  Anyone know if an update is out since last year?  It
really needs only very minor work to be world class stuff.

Bob Pegram (Internet; pegram@griffin.uvm.edu)

baffoni@alcor.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (05/30/90)

In article <1519@uvm-gen.UUCP> pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) writes:
>usual terrible Michtron manual, but it does do a nice job of
>defragging 16Meg or less partitions (*not* my new 32Meg TOS 1.4
>partition 8-( ).  I haven't used the backup portion of the program, as

  Thanks to someone on the net (sorry, I forgot your name but I deleted the
mail already %|) I found DLII (024) and REORG.prg on Terminator: that seems to
have done a great job on my now ex-fragged disk.  This software was written by
Simon Poole and has a whole lot of disclaimers throughout the docs, but the
check-disk option recognizes >512 logical sectors and it said something about
supporting >2 sector clustors (read: IBM?) in later releases.  I would think
that the companion program (REORG.prg) would also have the capability of
recognizing the 1k logical sectors (as per TOS 1.4, and various formatting
utilities out by Supra and ICD).  If I am wrong about this, could someone
please show me the error of my ways...Simon?

>Bob Pegram (Internet; pegram@griffin.uvm.edu)

-Mike Baffoni

PS:  Does anybody out there need to sell their memory upgrade?  This 512k stuff
     just AIN'T gonna hack it .....  send e-mail to baffoni@alcor.usc.edu

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (05/30/90)

baffoni@alcor.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:

>  Thanks to someone on the net (sorry, I forgot your name but I deleted the
>mail already %|) I found DLII (024) and REORG.prg on Terminator: that seems to
>have done a great job on my now ex-fragged disk.  This software was written by
>Simon Poole and has a whole lot of disclaimers throughout the docs, but the
>check-disk option recognizes >512 logical sectors and it said something about
>supporting >2 sector clustors (read: IBM?) in later releases.  I would think
>that the companion program (REORG.prg) would also have the capability of
>recognizing the 1k logical sectors (as per TOS 1.4, and various formatting
>utilities out by Supra and ICD).  If I am wrong about this, could someone
>please show me the error of my ways...Simon?

Simon seems to have left the ATARI community some time ago; he doesn't program
for the ST anymore. Leaves not much hope for a new DLII/REORG version.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Stolen from unknown.)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de